Ultra lite mk3 FireWire mic input faulty?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Edschul13
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ultra lite mk3 FireWire mic input faulty?

Post by Edschul13 »

Hi all. I’ve been having great difficulty getting my condenser mic to work in the ultralite mk3 FireWire.
It’s Audio Technica AT2020. I use switch for phantom power on, but don’t see any input or hear anything from the mic. I’ve tied both 1 and 2 inputs.
I also have an 828mk3 and it works with that. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks
Ed
mikehalloran

Re: Ultra lite mk3 FireWire mic input faulty?

Post by mikehalloran »

If you've been going through a hub or daisychaining through another device, disconnect and make a direct connection before testing.

If your 828 is good through the same port and FW cable, you can assume that both are good — if not, reset the NV RAM (PRAM).

If Audio MIDI Setup.app shows the unit greyed out while it's on, delete the profile and see if it reappears.

I would reset your unit to factory specs:
http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/reset

If it's FW only, the firmware is 1.0 and there are no updates. If a Hybrid, check the firmware and update if needed:
http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/f ... changelog/

If it still fails, call MOTU to see if you have a dead unit and if it's eligible for a refurb exchange (usually less expensive that sending to a tech for repair). This will depend on the age and version.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Edschul13

Re: Ultra lite mk3 FireWire mic input faulty?

Post by Edschul13 »

Thanks! Yeah, I’m going to give a call tomorrow, as I’ve tried everything mentioned. Sigh.