Need more I/O to run Hardware Insert, correct?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
bad andy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Need more I/O to run Hardware Insert, correct?

Post by bad andy »

I just updated my system to DP9 (from DP7) and wanted to try the hardware insert plugin, however I'm using an Audio Express and from what I can see - the unit really only offers a single pair of outs (MAIN 1-2) despite offering a few various physical connections. Is my understanding correct that I'd need either a...
a device that offers more discrete outs than a single pair?
or b.... Instead of replacing the Audio Express, would adding something small like a Microbook II give me an additional pair of I/O I could use to route the hardware insert to/from?

Thanks
magicd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Need more I/O to run Hardware Insert, correct?

Post by magicd »

The Audio Express has four channels of line level output and four channels of analog input. If you are using the Main Outs for monitoring you still have two channels of line output left for hardware inserts in DP.

Dave
bad andy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Need more I/O to run Hardware Insert, correct?

Post by bad andy »

Ahh yes, I had thought initially it was possible but wasn't seeing the various outputs as options when briefly looking earlier. I fiddled a bit more and got it working. Thanks for the confirmation.