DP9.1 on 12 core 3.46gHz with mucho VIs

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Anthropy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9.1 on 12 core 3.46gHz with mucho VIs

Post by Anthropy »

Hi Folks!
Been a while... I just rebuilt my MacPro 2.26 eight core to a 3.46 twelve core and bumped up the RAM to 64gb. I'm running El Capitan, VEPro, and am hoping to upgrade DP8 (which was nearly unusable on the 8 core with all my VIs) to DP9 with the new pre-gen and newly optimized MAS.
Any advice on this? I don't simply want my new setup to run "as well as" DP7/SnowLeopard - very stable but high buffer settings; but hopefully much better than what I'm experiencing with DP8.
Is anyone HAPPY that they are using DP 9.1 vs. 7 or 8? I don't do much more than a dozen stereo audio tracks, but have tons of VIs w/VEPro, and a movie inside DP for scoring.
Thanks!
Robert
Mac Studio M1 128gb, DP. LPX, OWC Thunderbay external 4 bay SSD, Antelope Audio Zen Go, Presonus Monitor Station V2, Event 2020 powered monitors (1st gen). Best thing = CyberPower UPS!!! We have wind, rain, snow, ice, and lots of power outages!
TinenTech

Re: DP9.1 on 12 core 3.46gHz with mucho VIs

Post by TinenTech »

I'm happy I upgraded to DP9. It fixed an issue I had with some tracks that were recorded with the wrong sample clock...the way used to fix it didn't work in 8. No problems. I have a much lower system than yours...a MacBook Pro running i7 and only 4 GB memory...but I have stuck with El Capitan so far. I can get by with it because I don't run VIs much, just one or two sometimes. But I can run with a 128 buffer without apparent problems most of the time.

Eventually we'll have to go to Sierra, but friends of mine have had issues with Pro Tools.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
HCMarkus

Re: DP9.1 on 12 core 3.46gHz with mucho VIs

Post by HCMarkus »

I sat on DP 8.07 and Mountain Lion for several years and was very happy. Super stable.

In the interest of running some newer plug ins (notably Modo Bass - worth it!), a 4k video monitor and upgrading my GPU, I moved to Sierra and DP9. Now running DP 9.13 which has proven generally very solid, but for the annoying CC64 issue (not resolved for me and MOTU has acknowledged).

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62125&p=545047&hilit=CC64#p541256

The pre-gem system works pretty well; it can be a tad crackly at lower (128) buffer settings, but I have found I can keep piling on VIs and it keeps on going and going. And due to lower system throughput time, I find I can, if necessary, continue to work with buffers of up to 512. Of course, raising buffer to max for mixing remains a very good idea.

I like the security my system has running Sierra, and the interconnectivity with my other Macs, also running Sierra, and my iOS stuff. The 4k monitor is very sweet when working and a knock out when auditioning project video full screen.

Also, since your MP is a 12 cores it must have 5,1 firmware, meaning will be good to go for High Sierra, which our own (brave) Gravity Jim has beta tested as working with DP. I won't be an early High Sierra adaptor, but will definitely explore it once it gets to the .2 or .3 release. It may be the last OS update for our Mac Pros.

PS: High Sierra pushes a new firmware update to Mac Pros, updating the 5,1 firmware. I haven't installed yet, but research indicates it can be installed, then the HS installation cancelled. The new firmware is reportedly compatible with (at least as far back as) Sierra.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31