CueMix ULmk3 Sub

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
topaz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

CueMix ULmk3 Sub

Post by topaz »

Hi Guys

I am struggling trying to get my sub working with the above setup.

Is it possible using OSX Sierra to route clean system audio out of outputs 1+2 and the same signal out of 3+4 but use CueMix to HPF to feed out to a SUB ?

I hope that is clear. is the issue that CueMix is only for routing external signals and not internal ?

Cheers
Matt
Last edited by topaz on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: CuneMix ULmk3 Sub

Post by mikehalloran »

Most of us would not do it that way. Not sure what you mean by
use CueMix to HPF to feed out to a SUB
What is your setup? What monitors and sub are you using?

There is more than one way to set things up. A little more info will help find the ideal solution.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
topaz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: CueMix ULmk3 Sub

Post by topaz »

Cheers Mike

I have Mk3 FW, Mac Pro

Equator D5's and an old event S-100 Sub, it only has unbalanced rca (and way too noisy)

It also has a mono Input, what I wondered is if I can output a stereo pair to my monitors
with ie channel 3 also on the stereo out but filtered with Cue Mix.

so System/Daw audio out into 1+2 (filtered 53hz) the sub mono out 1+2 filtered above 54hz.

I hope that is more clear ?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: CueMix ULmk3 Sub

Post by mikehalloran »

Make it easy. The D5s don't have the low end for it to be a real issue unless you are cranking them really loud. The Event sub has a built in low pass at 120. I would run both as is. Careful placement of the sub will make it sound great. I never used a crossover with my D5s and my JBL subwoofer (the JBL has a switchable crossover — I ran mine at 120Hz).

Ted and I have had long talks about this over the years. He considers the ideal crossover is 80Hz for the D5. I don't disagree but 1/3 octave higher can still sound quite good and give you mixes you can trust. 53Hz is way too low.

I have an extremely noisy studio electrically due to 1960 non-grounded wiring and being in the middle of the silicon valley. Unbalanced in/out can be made to work by using balanced cables and terminating them mono. It's not theoretical in my room—the proper cables make a noticeable difference in noise levels that anyone can hear.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro