Problem getting Discovery App to recognize 16a

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
supermonster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Problem getting Discovery App to recognize 16a

Post by supermonster »

I’m a new Motu 16a owner and have what I thought was a simple question but just can’t figure out. Maybe someone here has a simple solution. I use the 16a to transfer the tracks from the direct-outs of a 16-track tape machine. All I really want to do is be able to adjust the inputs going into the computer so that I can avoid clipping while importing sessions. I assume that I can adjust these parameters within the AVB Discovery App.

I’m connecting the 16a via USB-2 to a 2017 Macbook Pro (fully updated OS Sierra). When I connect the 16a to my laptop, I can use it in Pro Tools and all the ins/outs are working, but the 16a does not show up in the Discovery App on my laptop or iPhone (“No Local Devices Found”). Therefore, I can't access the 16a and change any of the settings. Looking at the screen on the 16a, it is set to DHCP and shows that the AVB=Disabled. I have updated the most recent Motu drivers and software to the laptop but haven't been able to figure out how to update the firmware on the 16a without having it recognized in the Discovery App.

But I’m at a complete loss here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Problem getting Discovery App to recognize 16a

Post by EMRR »

It's been a long time since I've coupled a computer to a 16A; mine have been connected 3+ years now. Do I remember a browser address you had to enter once to be recognized? I felt the manual was pretty clear about the method. Having said that, there are times it won't connect, and it requires reboot of both interface and computer. Far too frequently. Then it may run months without a hiccup.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing