Remote Recording Set up

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
morrye
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Remote Recording Set up

Post by morrye »

Hi Everybody, It's been a very long time since I've been here. I want to put together a good, but simple remote recording rig. I want to be able to record sixteen tracks on to my lap-top (2015 Mac Pro) and then edit on my Mac tower (a hot rodded 2010). I prefer to stay with MOTU gear, but they have so many boxes with so many options, I'm not sure which to choose. Suggestions?? Thanks
mikehalloran

Re: Remote Recording Set up

Post by mikehalloran »

Well, the ability to record 16 simultaneous tracks to a Mac Pro is fairly specific. Unfortunately, with no details, it's impossible to make a specific recommendation.

Since you have a PCIe slot as well as USB 2 and FireWire, you have a few choices and most of them are available used.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
morrye

Re: Remote Recording Set up

Post by morrye »

Thanks for responding. I'm wondering how MOTU'S new Stage Box 16B with AVB would work. If I understand AVB correctly, I should be able to run an Ethernet cable from the 16B directly to my laptop. However, I would need an Ethernet to USB or Thunderbolt adapter to connect to my laptop. Does that sound right?