MOTU Ultralite Mk3 not working at all in Ableton

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
raysolar
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU Ultralite Mk3 not working at all in Ableton

Post by raysolar »

Hi everyone,
Hoping someone can shed some light on this problem. I have a new (to me) MacBook Pro (Late 2013) and an ex demo unit MOTU Ultralite Mk3. I installed Logic Pro x via the App Store, works fine with the MOTU.
I installed Ableton Live 9.7.3 and no MOTU audio device is visible, just 'core audio' No MOTU at all.
Very frustrating! I've updated the FW on the MOTU, downloaded the latest driver; etc etc. Still nothing.
Anyone have any ideas how I can troubleshoot this? The MOTU is clearly visible in the Mac's audio settings. Ableton is behaving as if there is no MOTU attached to the system.
Please help!
Thanks in advance,
Ray
mikehalloran

Re: MOTU Ultralite Mk3 not working at all in Ableton

Post by mikehalloran »

If using bus power, you probably need an external power supply. The Thunderbolt port supplies only 7V while the FW spec is closer to 22V. The manual says that

You can power the UltraLite-mk3 from
any standard 10-18V, 12 watt DC power supply
with any polarity (tip positive or negative).

There is a mention of Ableton in the manual. This may shed some light.

http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firewi ... al_Mac.pdf

If it's a Hybrid, use the USB port instead of FW.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
raysolar

Post by raysolar »

Hi there, thanks for the reply! Much appreciated.
I am using USB, straight into the MBP. I also have the power adapter for the MOTU (yes its a Hybrid) plugged into the mains too.
Interesting re the FW via Thunderbolt power issue; I've just purchased a Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter so looks like I'll need to keep using the power suppoy on the MOTU. This is no problem though.
I've emailed MOTU support who pointed me back at Ableton support. Ive emailed them and await a reply to see if they can advise....
Ray
raysolar

Post by raysolar »

SOLVED! Yay! OK so using a direct USB2 connection works fine with everything: Logic, present in system etc etc.
Ordered a Thunderbolt to FW800 (Apple product) and it arrived just now. Plugged it in, unplugged Hybrid from USB, restarted everything connected to the FW800 adapter. Viola!!
No idea what's going on with USB and Ableton / MOTU but all is well in the world once more.
FW adapter cost me £29 but probably worth it. At least one of my USB posts are now free.
Have to say I've had more than what I'd call a reasonable amount of difficulties with this MOTU device. I'd think twice before buying this make again...
Ray 0/