Playing Optical Sound from PS3 through Motu 828x

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
harperpeck
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Playing Optical Sound from PS3 through Motu 828x

Post by harperpeck »

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew how I could use the optical port in my Motu 828x to play the sound from my PS3 through my monitor speakers. I tried just plugging it in and playing around with some settings, but I couldn't get it to work. I have the Motu plugged into my MacBook Pro as well if that helps
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Playing Optical Sound from PS3 through Motu 828x

Post by mikehalloran »

harperpeck wrote:Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew how I could use the optical port in my Motu 828x to play the sound from my PS3 through my monitor speakers. I tried just plugging it in and playing around with some settings, but I couldn't get it to work
The PS3 supports DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) connector 2 channel and 5.1
http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... utput.html

According to many forums, this works over S/PDIF
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=4551

Specs for the 828x:

Digital I/O 16 channels of ADAT optical at 1x sample rates
8 channels of SMUX optical at 2x sample rates
2-channel TOSlink (optical S/PDIF) up to 96 kHz
2-channel RCA S/PDIF up to 96 kHz

The manual should tell you how to set your 828x to see your PS3. If it won't work, I'd create a Tech Link at MOTU.com.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro