Choosing my third interface

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
wilkinsi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Choosing my third interface

Post by wilkinsi »

I currently have a MOTU 112D and an 8D. I have just upgraded to DP9, and wish to add another interface, which will serve two putposes:
1. Send MTC and SMPTE to two external hardware DAW's - Roland VS2480CD (SMPTE or MTC) and VSR880 (MTC only).
2. Give me the ability to use the hardware insert plugin, so I can insert analog effects devices (Line6 Helix, Seymour Duncan Andromeda, TC Electronic Mimiq. I'm led to believe I cannot insert digital devices (AES/EBU, ADAT, SPDIF), so I can't insert the Helix via SPDIF. Of course, if I can, that would make me happy. I'm not sure how I should configure the interface via the web browser's routing page.
So far, it would appear the Ultralite AVB would fit the bill. Can anyone suggest an alternative device?
Mac Mini 2018 - 8GB RAM, 3.6 GHZ Quad Core, 128GB SSD
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
Digital Performer 11, UVI Falcon.
magicd

Re: Choosing my third interface

Post by magicd »

DP9 can generate MTC and LTC SMPTE directly so that should cover you for the time code requirements.

If the UltraLite AVB has the inputs and outputs you require that could be an excellent choice. If you just want line level I/O you can also take a look at the 8A.

In order to connect three or more AVB interfaces in the network you will also need the AVB Switch. With the AVB Switch linking the three interfaces, they will all show up in the AVB Control app and you'll be able to route any points in the network to any other points in the network. Hit me with follow up questions.

Best,
Dave
magicd@motu.com
wilkinsi

Re: Choosing my third interface

Post by wilkinsi »

Thanks. I agree the UltraLite AVB seems to be the best choice. I assume I must use Clockworks to program the MIDI side of things in this unit, correct?
Mac Mini 2018 - 8GB RAM, 3.6 GHZ Quad Core, 128GB SSD
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
Digital Performer 11, UVI Falcon.