Playing Sound Through iPhone to Motu 828x

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
harperpeck
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Playing Sound Through iPhone to Motu 828x

Post by harperpeck »

Hey,

I'm running my sound through my Mac through my Motu 828x Thunderbolt to my JBL 308s, however, I am wondering if there is any way to connect my iPhone to the Motu to run sound off the iPhone.
Also would it be possible to connect a bluetooth adapter to the Motu so I could play sound through Bluetooth?

Thanks
mikehalloran

Re: Playing Sound Through iPhone to Motu 828x

Post by mikehalloran »

Use the headphone output to a stereo splitter into two channels. If an iPhone 7, use a lightening to headphone adapter.

Don't know why you would do this. You can move audio files from your iPhone to a Mac or PC via iTunes, Dropbox, email etc. and just drop them into DP or whatever you are you are using.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
harperpeck

Post by harperpeck »

mikehalloran wrote:Use the headphone output to a stereo splitter into two channels. If an iPhone 7, use a lightening to headphone adapter.

Don't know why you would do this. You can move audio files from your iPhone to a Mac or PC via iTunes, Dropbox, email etc. and just drop them into DP or whatever you are you are using.
Thanks for the response! I tried what you said I used a normal headphone splitter with two aux cables attached and a 1/4 adapter on the end of each cable and plugged them into channels 1 and 2 in the Analog In, but I still couldn't get it to work. And I'm using it if I ever just want to play a song or something off of my phone not for recording or anything but purely music listening. I'm also using it for broader purposes like if I wanted to play the sound from a Playstation or something like that through my speakers, or anything else that has audio output. Thank you!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I don't know what you are referring to when you mean a headphone splitter.

I was referring to a simple 1/8" TRS cable to 1/4" TS R/L. I use such cables to play my iPad as a bass by tapping on the glass or my iPod as a background music source into my PA.
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP-153-Ste ... B000068O3C

Here's a heavier duty version, longer with Neutrik connectors:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSHMPY?si ... QodMDoIMw=

If you want a single channel, get a 1/8" TRS stereo to 1/4" TS mono interconnect.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP105
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro