828 Mk2 USB power up issues

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
LarsUK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828 Mk2 USB power up issues

Post by LarsUK »

Hi all,
First post here.

Sometime ago I bought a second hand 828 mk2 to replace the RME fire face on my now defunct G5.
I use it connected to a Macbook pro.
When I bought it, the LCD backlight was dead which I knew, but I could operate it with the software so all was fine.

Normally when i switch it on, there's a few seconds lapse then there's a little crackle on the speakers (I have it connected through ADAT to my mixer) and then the 44.1Khz clock LED shows and all good to go. I can also see it in MOTU Audio Setup.

However, recently it started to not show up on the mac when powering up. Had to switch it on and off a few times and sometimes even despite that I won't show up on the mac.
I can still hear the crackle on the speakers when i switch it on (so clearly there is power), however no 44.1Khz clock light and not recognised by mac.
Although the LCD backlight is dead, I can still see that it says MOTU 828USB v1.01 so clearly it starts but seems to freeze on startup...

I have tried with a different power cable and connected to different socket, different USB cable, disconnect and wait a bit... with no success :( . Any suggestions of troubleshooting steps?

Thanks in advance.

Lars
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 828 Mk2 USB power up issues

Post by terrybritton »

No suggestions for troubleshooting, but if you want it fixed, you might call MOTU tech support and ask them if the $99 "replacement deal" is still in place, even for a unit that old. You will need to send them a photo of receipt of some kind. Not sure it covers second-hand purchases. But worth asking!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools