828 mk2 Headphone mixes problem.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Viv Savage
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

828 mk2 Headphone mixes problem.

Post by Viv Savage »

I am using a 828 mk2 patched through to a Presonus HP-60 headphone mixer, and the latest version of Apple's Logic Pro X as a DAW.

In Logic I have Sent a channel strip to another bus which in turn is sent to Output 3-4 on the MOTU. When I press Play I see the meter moving on the new channel strip so I know that the sound is being outputted. When I look at the display on the 828 I see two dots flashing in the output section whch indicates that the sound is being processed (just the input? Output? Dunno...), but I don't hear anything on the phones.

When I reroute the channelstrip to Std Output instead of Ouput 3-4 I do hear the louder vocals on my headphones, so I figure I am doing it right. The Presonus is simply insert a cable and turn up the dial, I don't sxee what I could be doing wrong with that, so I figure I am doing something wrong on the 828...

Any idea(s)?

Thanks.
OS X Sierra, Logic Pro X, MOTU 828mkII USB, Tascam US-144, Presonus HP-60, loads of plug-ins
------
Hammond XK-1, Roland A-70, Arturia KeyLab 88, Korg Triton Rack
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 828 mk2 Headphone mixes problem.

Post by terrybritton »

Viv Savage wrote:I am using a 828 mk2 patched through to a Presonus HP-60 headphone mixer, and the latest version of Apple's Logic Pro X as a DAW.

In Logic I have Sent a channel strip to another bus which in turn is sent to Output 3-4 on the MOTU. When I press Play I see the meter moving on the new channel strip so I know that the sound is being outputted. When I look at the display on the 828 I see two dots flashing in the output section whch indicates that the sound is being processed (just the input? Output? Dunno...), but I don't hear anything on the phones.

When I reroute the channelstrip to Std Output instead of Ouput 3-4 I do hear the louder vocals on my headphones, so I figure I am doing it right. The Presonus is simply insert a cable and turn up the dial, I don't sxee what I could be doing wrong with that, so I figure I am doing something wrong on the 828...

Any idea(s)?

Thanks.
Two ideas.

The 828 does not pass output from a DAW directly to physical outputs (other than Main and Phones) unless you set up a loop-back scenario and a CueMix mix for this, like looping-back the S/PDIF out to the S/PDIF in. Then output the AUX track to that (S/PDIF in this example), and send the S/PDIF in via a mix (now treated as an input) to the output location you want it via CueMix or the front panel. The 828 is primarily set-up to monitor inputs to various output devices (other than Main and Phones), not outputs. So, that is one approach that works around that.

You can also set up the "Phones" in the MOTU Audio Control Panel to receive a particular CueMix mix (1-8), but that goes out the Phones jack. Similarly with the Main Output, but if you want outputs other than Main or Phones you have to set up a loop-back, in my experience.

There is a chance I am not aware of a different route to this, as once I got it working I did not really explore this much deeper.

Be careful not to route your loop-back to itself in any CueMix mixes! (As in, avoid feedback loops.)

I use one of the ADAT optical in/outs for this loop-back channel using a cheap TOSLINK cable I picked up at Ollies' for 2 bucks.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Viv Savage

Post by Viv Savage »

terrybritton wrote: Two ideas.

The 828 does not pass output from a DAW directly to physical outputs (other than Main and Phones) unless you set up a loop-back scenario and a CueMix mix for this, like looping-back the S/PDIF out to the S/PDIF in. Then output the AUX track to that (S/PDIF in this example), and send the S/PDIF in via a mix (now treated as an input) to the output location you want it via CueMix or the front panel. The 828 is primarily set-up to monitor inputs to various output devices (other than Main and Phones), not outputs. So, that is one approach that works around that.

You can also set up the "Phones" in the MOTU Audio Control Panel to receive a particular CueMix mix (1-8), but that goes out the Phones jack. Similarly with the Main Output, but if you want outputs other than Main or Phones you have to set up a loop-back, in my experience.

There is a chance I am not aware of a different route to this, as once I got it working I did not really explore this much deeper.

Be careful not to route your loop-back to itself in any CueMix mixes! (As in, avoid feedback loops.)

I use one of the ADAT optical in/outs for this loop-back channel using a cheap TOSLINK cable I picked up at Ollies' for 2 bucks.

Terry
I have connected the outputs from the 828 to the various channels on the Presonus, so from the point of view of the MOTU I am sending it to the analog outputs on the back. From what I've read, I gathered that CueMix let me route an input directly to a bus without bothering Logic, but that is not what I want.

Logic sees that the MOTU had multiple outputs, so I figured I would send it to those outputs when I select them in the channel strip. I also see the dots indicating activity bunking so I guess something is happening. I just don't hear it.
OS X Sierra, Logic Pro X, MOTU 828mkII USB, Tascam US-144, Presonus HP-60, loads of plug-ins
------
Viv Savage

Post by Viv Savage »

In the end it turned out that I had the volume turned down on the Presonus input... D'Oh!!! Now it works like I expected it to.

I figured I had done something wrong, but not that basic, lol.

Thanks anyways.
------
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Viv Savage wrote:In the end it turned out that I had the volume turned down on the Presonus input... D'Oh!!! Now it works like I expected it to.

I figured I had done something wrong, but not that basic, lol.

Thanks anyways.
Well, I should warn you that nobody on this forum has ever made a similar mistake.

NOT! ;-)

Glad you have it figured out so you can enjoy making music again for a while!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools