MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid crashing my Mac

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Holiday101
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid crashing my Mac

Post by Holiday101 »

I have a MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid. When my computer goes into sleep mode with the interface on it crashes my Mac. I seem to get some Firewire error in the report. Never had an audio interface crash my Mac before. This is OSX Yosemite and firmware 1.07 boot 1.03. :?
mikehalloran

Re: MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid crashing my Mac

Post by mikehalloran »

Firewire does that for many of us. FW is a dead protocol. Thunderbolt supports a small part of the spec and Intel supports none of it.

You have a Hybrid. Use the USB port.

If you have a desktop Mac, disable App Nap globally. Its only purpose is to extend battery life in portables.

Disable App Nap System Wide in Mac OS X

Copy the following command and paste into Terminal.app then hit <Enter> or <Return> key.

defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAppSleepDisabled -bool YES

Type your Admin password when prompted then <Enter> or <Return>

Reboot or close and restart applications
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Holiday101

Post by Holiday101 »

Hmmm...Well I have a hybrid drive and the MOTU which is Hybrid. I figured the MOTU should run firewire and the drive usb (not recording multiple tracks simultaneously at the moment) which shoudl give me best specs on latency.

Just found it weird that it would actually crash my Macbook as again, never happened with any other interface.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

This is a well documented issue with the latest driver update:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62567&hilit=crash+on+sleep#p534358

Try rolling back to a previous version and see if that fixes the problem.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31