Hardware/Software set up 828 Hybrid, Mac El Capitan

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
boofybristol
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Hardware/Software set up 828 Hybrid, Mac El Capitan

Post by boofybristol »

Fairly new with the Motu interfaces. Previously had an Ultralite AVB (couldn't get my head around it) and saw an 828 for cheap so with that now.

I want to set the 828 hybrid up, so that I can work within reason 9 and ableton. More importantly, I want to get sound out of my Interface, to my external mixer, to run through multiple effects (RE-201, Strymon's, Dawson 1978, etc), and then back to the Motu without creating any feedback.

Previously did this on smaller soundcards i.e. Saffire Pro 24, but can't work this one out as the Output on the back (Analog 1-2) isn't sending any signal to my mixer.

My synthesizers are sending clean signal to the mixer connected through Mic 1&2 fine, but I want what's playing from my computer to go to my outboard effects and back to the interface to record.

Anyone who can lend a hand with some info, it would be massively appreciated.

If anything needs to be clarified as well, let me know!
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Hardware/Software set up 828 Hybrid, Mac El Capitan

Post by terrybritton »

Are you using the CueMix software to configure your routing? Since it sounds like you got this used, I cannot tell if you downloaded the software for it and had discovered CueMix.

See this video for an overview if you haven't yet.

Terry

Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You need to download the drivers. Otherwise, you are limited to Core Audio. The drivers and manual are found at MOTU.com.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
boofybristol

Post by boofybristol »

mikehalloran wrote:You need to download the drivers. Otherwise, you are limited to Core Audio. The drivers and manual are found at MOTU.com.
I've done this, but just trying to wrap my head around the software at the moment. Will give it another blast when I get back to studio.
terrybritton wrote:Are you using the CueMix software to configure your routing? Since it sounds like you got this used, I cannot tell if you downloaded the software for it and had discovered CueMix.

See this video for an overview if you haven't yet.

Terry

I've seen various videos but I'll give this one a go as well! Thanks, man
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Here's where you can see if you're running the current firmware and, if not, how to update it.

http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/firmwarechangelog

CurMix is built into the unit but you access it through the app that comes with the driver download.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro