Old MOTU Timepiece 8x8 setup question

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
dahlgren
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Old MOTU Timepiece 8x8 setup question

Post by dahlgren »

I have an old MOTU Timepiece (same model as pictured here -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Rmm7 ... sp=sharing)
I wonder if anyone has a copy of the manual or is familiar with the operation of this unit? MIDI IN ports will pass along clock info to all of the OUT ports, but I'm not able to get note on/off messages through. I've tested all the relevant components (cables, synth, keyboard) and the timepiece is definitely the problematic factor here.

I wonder if maybe there's some strange routing information stored?

Thanks in advance
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Old MOTU Timepiece 8x8 setup question

Post by mikehalloran »

How are you trying to use it?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dahlgren

Post by dahlgren »

I have a keyboard sending tempo information and notes/cc messages over channel 1. This is plugged into the 8/16 MIDI IN port on the front of the unit. I have 4 other devices plugged into the MIDI OUT ports on the back. One of these is a tone generator listening on channel 1 for messages. The other devices respond to tempo information, so this shows me that part is working.

Things I have tried:

1. Keyboard MIDI OUT to tone generator MIDI IN directly: works as expected
2. Keyboard connected to rear MIDI IN ports on the time piece: tempo information works, no note messages make it through
3. Tone generator connected to each of the different 8 MIDI OUT ports on the rear of the timepiece: tempo information works, no notes sound
4. I have tried putting the timepiece front switch in both "on" positions: no detectable difference.

Things I have not yet tried:

1. Keyboard to front panel MIDI IN and tone generator to front panel MIDI OUT
2. Any computer or network based connections

I run a fully hardware-based setup (DAWless).

I'm just trying to use the timepiece as a MIDI multiplexer - maybe it doesn't do that?

Regards
dahlgren

Post by dahlgren »

Update:

I contacted MOTU customer support and they responded immediately. I learned that my MTP is not any newer than 1992!

Here's the relevant part of our conversation:
The MTP can be programmed as a stand-alone router but it needs to be connected to a computer to create the routing setup.
As for me, I'm going to try cracking open the MTP and seeing if I can wipe some system memory or something and get some kind of default routing back. Worst case scenario is I brick a $20 ebay find :)
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

The answer: running stand-alone. MOTU saved me posting the same info.

You need a Mac or PC with a serial port. A PC is the better bet since they had them much longer. With the Mac, you are talking about a G3 or older Mac running OS 9 or older. The drivers and instructions are still online if you can get something talking to it. You want the combined manual — the instructions won't be exact but will be close enough once you get the PC talking to the unit.
http://motu.com/techsupport/manuals

You can clear the User Memory Settings a number of ways. Either remove the CR2032 battery (you probably want to replace it at the same time) or follow the factory reset to default which should be:

Power the unit off. Hold the Panic button down while powering the unit back on. After the boot is finished, let go of the Panic button.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dahlgren

Post by dahlgren »

I've cracked open the unit and observed there is no battery backup of any sort (nor any panic switches or buttons). I was able to find the primary logic chip was marked "S&S Research MTP1.0d" - so this is an MTP 1.0 I'm using.

I discharged all the capacitors using a multimeter and tried testing again. Same behavior, no note messages are being sent. I'll post back here if I have any breakthroughs, but I think it's a wash at this point.