Motu 16a <- ada8200 <- kemper

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Terryrocks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Motu 16a <- ada8200 <- kemper

Post by Terryrocks »

my 16a is connected via adat to 2 behringer ada8000/8200.

My kemper profiling amp analog outputs to one of the behringer and then adat to the 16a

When recording i get digital noise bursts from the adat connection. Only when recording. When just playback, no problems. i've tried both behringer devices and get the same behavior.

This leads me to believe it's either the 16a or the computer. Likely a sync issue between the adat devices.

Any suggestions?
travisvhagan

Re: Motu 16a <- ada8200 <- kemper

Post by travisvhagan »

Terryrocks wrote:my 16a is connected via adat to 2 behringer ada8000/8200.

My kemper profiling amp analog outputs to one of the behringer and then adat to the 16a

When recording i get digital noise bursts from the adat connection. Only when recording. When just playback, no problems. i've tried both behringer devices and get the same behavior.

This leads me to believe it's either the 16a or the computer. Likely a sync issue between the adat devices.

Any suggestions?
Hi Terryrocks,

Have you checked to make sure everything is clocked correctly? If the Kemper is running on its own internal clock, then you will need to set the Behringer unit to sync to it and the 16A to receive sync from the Behringer. If the Kemper can receive clock signal from the Behringer in some way, then you can run the 16A on its internal clock and sync the devices that are "downstream" from there. Keep in mind that clock signal runs in the same direction as audio signal. If you want to sync one device to another, you will need an ADAT cable running from the ADAT output of the "master device" to the ADAT input of the sync'd one.
I hope this helps!

Travis Hagan - MOTU Tech Support
Terryrocks

Post by Terryrocks »

The kemper is not digitally connected but analog, so no clocking sync required with it.

I have the 16a set as master clock internal
The behringer set as adat slave and it displays the adat lock indicator.

When I send a signal out of my interface via From Computer 17 and record to a new track with the input set as To Computer 17 i get similar digital bursts.
Terryrocks

Post by Terryrocks »

It's looking more and more like it's not the adat that is the problem. I've also now heard it with analog inputs on the 16a. I'm thinking it's a power issue