AVB reliability?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
gravity
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

AVB reliability?

Post by gravity »

Hi folks.

Is anyone here having a reliable experience using the new MOTU interfaces with AVB via ethernet?

Brian
DP10.13 , PT Ultimate, Macbook Pro 6. core I7, OS 10.15.7, Motu LP32, Avid HD Thunderbolt 32 i/o, DM2000 , mics & stuff
EMRR

Re: AVB reliability?

Post by EMRR »

Reliability has moved around with each set of driver updates. Some have been rock solid, some have been really broken. Seems to depend on machine, OS, etc. I've had no luck rolling back to earlier drivers when things went badly, what broke stayed broke, then a later update would fix it. Have been through that cycle several times since the MOTU devices were released. AVB itself is likely entirely reliable, if the supporting interface structure is on the ball.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
gravity

Post by gravity »

Thanks Doug

Having spoken to MOTU and experimented a bit I came to the conclusion that my laptop (2012 i7) might be a bit old. It's mostly just getting things connected which is the problem, once everything is set it works great. I reckon I can get the interface to work one in every five times.

B
DP10.13 , PT Ultimate, Macbook Pro 6. core I7, OS 10.15.7, Motu LP32, Avid HD Thunderbolt 32 i/o, DM2000 , mics & stuff
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I would not expect that computer to be too old. I'm running on a 2012 i7 myself. Driver bugs have been the variable.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing