Setting up Motu828 with Mic in Ableton? (Problem)

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
tekara
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Setting up Motu828 with Mic in Ableton? (Problem)

Post by tekara »

Hi guys,

Thanks for your time, I'm trying to troubleshoot a very basic problem.

Please bare with me (or my lack of knowledge) as while I have been using a DAW making music using my Motu828 for the past 10 years, this is literally the 1st time I have ever tried using a microphone.

Am I overlooking something here? I am having trouble receiving feedback on the newly purchased Rode NT1 I am using. I have plugged the mic into the front panel (Mic/Guitar 1) in the MOTU828, turned on phantom power (+48v), opened up my Ableton Live 9 (MAC OSX) and created an audio track. The input on that channel is audio input 1 which I set up as a mono channel in my preferences menu (assumingly Mic/Guitar 1 corresponds to that channel). When I speak into the microphone I see the level meters moving up and down on that channel after pressing the monitor button AND I see the MOTU828 meters on the front panel moving, however I hear no output through the speakers.

When I record, I can see Ableton is recording very flat signal..... seems like I am recording vibrations and not my voice as there are very flat peaks in the signal.

Trim volume is up
Cuemix channel for Mic/Guitar1 is up

Am I missing something here? Again sorry if I have overlooked something very trivial, I have no problems connecting my drum machines and synthesizers using the above method but for the Microphone it simply isn't working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!