Dual connection TB & USB2

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Pat Wilmart
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Dual connection TB & USB2

Post by Pat Wilmart »

Hello dears,

At the time my wonderful POWER MAC died because of failure of the graphic interface (!), and the simultaneous crash of my old friend MOTU 828 mkII USB (!!!), I just upgraded my studio with a new iMAC 27" and a MOTU 828x.
There is also a MOTU PRE8 connected through ADAT optical IN port.
I need the MOTU 828x audio interface for 2 machines in the studio :
- iMAC 27" with thunderbolt connection
- old PC (running some specific software) with USB connection

I used to switch the USB connector between the former MAC and the PC when needed.

What happens if I connect both ports TB and USB to respectively iMAC and PC ?

I may understand that both connections cannot work simutaneously :-)
However, is there any priority established between these 2 connections in the MOTU ?
Can I leave both connections set and take care of using only one machine at a time to avoid signal conflict ? Or is it strictly prohibited, electronically speaking ?
Or is there any parameter to select in the menu ?

Thanks for your help....

Pat
mikehalloran

Re: Dual connection TB & USB2

Post by mikehalloran »

How would you do this? The 828x has one input so there's no way to daisy-chain it.

You can run parallel USB connections but not TB. TB must be daisy-chained with the video monitor (if applicable) being the last in the chain. The 828x only has one TB port (to keep the price down as MOTU told me) so that's not possible.

If there's a way to daisy-chain both machines... each has to have 2 TB ports and both have to be active when one is asleep or off... and the TB spec has to support this—which I don't know on the PC (you can do it with two Macs but both have to be on, I think).
http://www.macworld.com/article/2142073 ... rbolt.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Pat Wilmart

Post by Pat Wilmart »

Thanks Mike for your prompt reply.

I read some misunderstanding. Most probably my post was not clear enough.

I rephrase here :

I am wondering whether I can (or not) connect both MOTU 828x ports at the same time :
- TB port connected to the iMac
- USB2 to the PC

I may hope that the MOTU detects which of the iMac or PC is active !?
However, there is most probably electronic conflict in doing that ... but my MOTU is placed in a huge Argosy cabinet so I am concerned to avoid to plug and unplug the rear pannel of the MOTU :-/

Kind regards,
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have had a number of drives and monitors connected to more than one computer over the years.

In most cases, the one that powers on first establishes the connection. One exception: If I have both Macs running, I need to disconnect my monitor from the iMac so that it works with my G4.

None of them are Thunderbolt so I have no direct experience with that. My guess is that it will be similar. There shouldn't be a problem hooking both up—it certainly shouldn't hurt anything (check with MOTU first!!!) but it will be a real surprise if the 828x works with both simultaneously.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro