Mixer preset change in new MOTU AVB boxes?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
TinenTech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mixer preset change in new MOTU AVB boxes?

Post by TinenTech »

Does anyone know whether the AVB interfaces, notably the Stage 16B, have mixer presets, e.g. "snapshot" automation? I downloaded the User Guide, and it has plenty of "presets", but these seem to be all about routing and setup for interface mode, or stage mode etc. etc. There are also channel presets, but it doesn't seem to have mix presets that store all fader and effect settings across the entire mixer.

Right now I use an 896mkIII, which has 16 Cue Mix presets, which I use as snapshot mixes for live use. (The only problem is that when you change from one preset to another, the outputs are muted for a few seconds.) The mixes can also be named, and basically does a total recall of the mixer state from preamp levels through main outputs.

Just curious whether people have used any of the new interfaces live in this kind of configuration.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
TinenTech

Re: Mixer preset change in new MOTU AVB boxes?

Post by TinenTech »

Bueller? Bueller?

I have another question as well...about mix controllers, whether Ethernet or MIDI or USB. Has MOTU added support for the AVB interfaces for physical controllers like the Mackie Controller or the Avid Artist Mix, to control the internal DSP mixer of units like the 16A?

I'm pretty hooked on using a Mackie Controller to control Cue Mix in my Traveler and 896...
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
Pro Tools 12
magicd

Post by magicd »

Yes you can save and recall mixer presets. You can also save and restore routing presets and channel strip presets.

No, there is no hardware controller currently available for the MOTU Pro Audio Control app. Control is done via web browser, HTTP, or OSC commands.

Dave
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

Thank you. I hope MOTU Product Development considers adding this, although I'm at a loss whether it makes sense to support mechanical interfaces, or which ones are most popular now. If OSC running on an iPad works, that's very good news and probably hits most of the market anyway. I'll check it out.

--DT
Pro Tools 12