MIDI Timepiece AV/USB not showing up

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
midilance
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Timepiece AV/USB not showing up

Post by midilance »

I have had my MidiTimepiece for many years. I check my MIDI config and it no longer shows up. I add a new device, insert the device name, manufacturer, click on the model dropdown menu and no MIDI Timepiece AV/USB shows up. I have it hooked up to a keyboard and three other pieces of MIDI hardware. I hit a key on the keyboard and the led lights up when I strike a key. I've done a reset and have replaced the battery.

It's almost as if the Timepiece is no longer supported. Any suggestions?
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.2.1 // DP 11.3 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Legacy // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
mikehalloran

Re: MIDI Timepiece AV/USB not showing up

Post by mikehalloran »

Mine shows up and works but it was a bit weird.

The icon is in Audio MIDI Setup but wasn't showing when the unit was on. I got the following error: The configuration application for 'MIDI Timepiece AV' cannot be opened. Huh? Ok...

I downloaded the latest MOTU MIDI Installer 1.6 (71459), installed and rebooted. Nada...

I reset mine to the factory defaults by holding the Panic button while flipping the Power switch. Again, nothing.

In Audio MIDI Setup, I created a new, generic device, renamed it MIDI Timepiece AV and it lit up and darkened as I turned my unit on/off. ????? So I deleted my new device and three more icons showed up with the correct graphic. MIDI Timepiece AV #4 lights up and darkens in Audio MIDI Setup as I turn the unit on and off. I deleted the other three and now it works.

If there's a way to edit the name so that I can remove #4 from the name, I don't see it. When I try to open the Icon Browser, I still get The configuration application for 'MIDI Timepiece AV' cannot be opened. Ok, I can live with that.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Your firmware is 2.0.1, right? It won't work on a Mac in the latest OS if not.

For others finding this thread, MOTU hasn't carried the firmware update chips since I bought one of the last sets in 2012. There is no other way to bring it up-to-date.

It occurs to me that was the last time that I changed the settings keep-alive CR2032 battery. 5 years? Time for another just to be sure.

If other USB devices are giving you fits, resetting the NV RAM restores the USB ports to default settings among other tasks.

Audio MIDI Setup has a fairly good set of Help files if nothing else does the trick.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Just searched and found this thread after losing contact with my MIDI Timepiece AV/USB. Since I don't use my hardware synths for recording much these days, I only discovered this issue as I was setting up for a session with a client who wanted to record keys and vocals simultaneously. After a few minutes of confused panic I was able to connect my Kronos via its USB out and order was restored. However I would just as soon continue to use the MIDI Timepiece as usual.

I'll try the manual device attempt later today. I've noticed in the past that when the MTP is turned off or loses power, a new MTP icon (i.e. #4) shows up and must be reconnected. No luck this time. Does the firmware info show up on bootup?

I upgraded (?) to Sierra not long ago so I guess this is one of my rewards.

Any latest info on driver updates/solutions greatly appreciated!
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Does the firmware info show up on bootup?
Normally, yes. If it doesn't, you have a problem. If replacing the CR2032 battery doesn't do the trick, it could be a major problem.
sloiselle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sloiselle »

I don't know if this will help but wanted to share anyways.

I've had an Express128 running on an iMac without problems for the last couple of years. The machine is in an EM lab in a school, and the old iMac went up on lease, had no choice, had to get a new one (running 12.12.5).

Installed machine, and booted Audio MIDI to set up the hardware rig, and the iMac just wouldn't see the interface. The interface showed power, and some of the MIDI inputs showed activity (on the Express128 itself) from synths sending active sensing. Tried installing the various latest MIDI drivers, but no luck. Then it occurred to me that I had done some rewiring in the rack, and just for the hell of it, went to the back of the Express128, unplugged the USB connection and reseated it.

Booted Audio MIDI app, and everything is now all set. So it seems that (at least in this one case), a USB connection was being made to the unit enough that it showed all front panels LEDs normally, but the computer still couldn't see it.
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

I realize this is an old thread, but wanted to thank you guys. I connected my MTP/AV to my old OS9 computer in order to restore some patches via Unisyn. Upon reconnecting it to my MacBook Pro / Mojave / DP10 setup, the MBP lost track of it in Audio MIDI Setup.

The MTP/AV was greyed out and no amount of rescanning or turning it on and off would bring it back. Sloiselle's advice to unplug and reconnect the USB cable got me a MIDI Timepiece AV#2, and I simply moved the virtual connections over from the defunct interface, then deleted it.

It is now working fine, so I thought I would take up Mike's quest to remove #2 from the name. You can name devices, but I didn't see a way to rename an interface. I went to user/Library/Audio/MIDI Configurations, found the .mcfg file, made a Finder copy, and opened it in Text Edit. It's written in XML, so it was easy to search for "#2" and delete it from the name string. Having a copy of your config file is good anyway, in case you accidentally hose it... I didn't see a way to "save as" in AM Setup.

All is working. Stay safe!
peace,
Frank Dickinson
90 East Productions
Our "lockdown" videos!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

i'll have to try that next time I plug in, Thanks!