8pre USB Newbie Question

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Foxenhimr
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

8pre USB Newbie Question

Post by Foxenhimr »

Hi Folks,

I am a relatively new owner of an iMac ( Sierra 10.12.3) and an 8pre USB. When I select the Motu as my audio source in system audio preferences, the volume adjustment gets "greyed" out. System sounds are crazy loud and I can't figure out how to turn them down. The volume knob on the 8pre has no effect, nor does the master out on cuemix. When using with Garageband the levels are not as loud, but the volume knob on the 8pre still has no effect. I assume I'm missing some sort of general setting ?

Any help is appreciated.
HCMarkus

Re: 8pre USB Newbie Question

Post by HCMarkus »

To set system Alerts levels, go to Apple Menu>System Preferences>Sound, select the "Sound Effects" tab and adjust the Alert Volume slider. If you wish, you can use the internal speakers in your iMac for Alerts by setting "play sound effects through"... "Internal speakers".

I don't own an 8Pre, but a quick look at the manual allows me to suggest you make sure you have the volume control set to effect Main Outs by depressing it twice. Otherwise it adjusts headphone level.

CueMix may offer an option to "adjust system volume". Poke around its menus and find out. Or wait for someone else to chime in here.
Foxenhimr

Re: 8pre USB Newbie Question

Post by Foxenhimr »

Still new to this, but doing this "s/pdif" loop, as below, seems to have worked.

http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/spdifloop