24.8 Mackie Mixer, 16+ interface options?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Trathoughts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

24.8 Mackie Mixer, 16+ interface options?

Post by Trathoughts »

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the scene here and have been digging into the Motu market for a week or so to solve some of my I/O issues. Maybe some of you can clear the air so I can upgrade successfully.

Currently I have a modest setup for my plethora of keyboards, a bass, a guitar, drums and some vocals. I recently traded one of my old Leslie's for a Mackie 24.8 which has inspired me to set my studio up for a no nonsense, sit down and play/jam/write setup. I also currently have a Saffire Pro 26 I'd like to sell to a friend since (at the moment) 6 I/o isn't much to sneeze at with a mixer capable of much more routing options. Some of my colleagues have some nice setups for multitrack recording and requires very little in terms of setting up and focused more on playing; bring your favorite ax, snare drum, keyboard and just have fun.

Long story even longer, I'd like to utilize this mackie board to its fullest potential, eventually investing in some outboard compressors, effects and preamps, and ultimately have a "sound" and just have everyone come over and jam without thinking about what mic placement or what tones to dial in.

Long story even looonnggeerrr, I'd absolutely prefer the ability to run 16 tracks in and out of my MacBook Pro 9,2, 16GB ram with SSD upgrade. I would looovveee 24 tracks mainly for 24 returns to sit and mix outside the box, but realistically, I only need 16 I/o without feeling the need to upgrade. 8 I/o would be fine as long as I can expand but the quality better be good for me to settle on just 8, and I can always just use subgroups for drums, digital keys, analog keys, guitars, bass and vocals. I'd use patchbays to achieve routing goals, set up subgroups if more musicians/gear arrive, route channels back through the daw during mix down either through auxes or inserts to use effects in the box but use physical mixing, etc. I don't need anything with preamps for obvious reasons (having a mixer) and eventually upgrading to some outboard pres.

So, to summarize, I'd like the ability to run 16 I/o, 24 is stellar, 8 is fine. I use studio one 3 (because I got it LEGALLY for free through work!!) or Logic Pro X. I don't have the budget for the new thunderbolt stuff and the more I read, the more I found that thunderbolt technology is a little overkill for audio right now (without getting into that) so FireWire is certainly fine. I saw the MOTU 24io, 828mk3 hybrid (and maybe expand with ada8000 for a quick solution since I have access to one) or whatever other options you guys and gals suggest. Whatever is best for my setup without investing thousands in the new stuff. I'd say $500 is a target price, under is great, over is not great but kind and informative suggestions is the ultimate goal.

*also, suggest stuff that will fill the criteria, please. I couldn't care less if I'm doing it wrong (unless I really am, not just because I don't do it "your way") or it's overkill, or you'd rather me sell everything and do woodworking! That's the main reason I gave a long story, hopefully to fill in any questions you may ask about who, what, where and why. Keep it classy! Of course, I'll answer questions if it pertains to my goals being met.

Thanks a lot for reading this novel of a post. Gotta start strong as a fresh face here.
HCMarkus

Re: 24.8 Mackie Mixer, 16+ interface options?

Post by HCMarkus »

Used 828mkII ($200 or less) + ADA8000 (free) connected via lite pipe for a total of 16 analog I/O
Use the Mackie's 8 Buss Outputs to feed 8 of the 16 Interface inputs and its Direct Outs to feed the remaining 8. Consider connecting a tracking reverb via the coaxial digital I/O on the 828 (verb send/return controlled via the 828's Cue Mix software.

Mix in the box or return 16 interface outputs to the board to fool around in the analog world before summing back to stereo. Returns to Board allow for multiple headphone mixes while tracking.

Substitute 828mkIII for mkII if you want a newer interface less likely to die of old age as soon and gain the potential to expand to 24 i/o.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FireWire is not fine anymore unless you have a G5. If you have an Intel Mac, you are better off with USB or Thunderbolt if your Mac is so equipped.

BTW, I have an 828mkII in perfect working condition, one of the very last made—it's going on 10 years now, borrowed time.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Trathoughts

Post by Trathoughts »

Thanks HCMarcus, looks like a very doable option. I've been interested in the 828's for a bit and I'd rather not go the mkII route only because of how much flack it got for its "sound" and a mkIII hybrid seems to be a reliable unit. I realized the 24io is not compatible with a laptop. That sucks (at least without a magma adapter). There goes the budget! I understand the mkII may be a reliable unit but on other forums, lots of talk about the improvements made to the mkIII make it more desirable and I can live with the higher cost if that's a better route.

Mikehalloran, do you have any other explanation to back that up? It's almost like saying "yeah you want to buy a car but gas is useless anymore." So do I go full on electric, what model, are hybrid cars ok, I don't want a Prius!! :) (and then you say you have a car that uses gas...) 828mkii...

Please explain why FireWire isn't an option (since I'm currently using FireWire with no issue, just too few channels and average sound) and please list some examples that fit the gear I listed above (if you want to read that novel again... I have it in paperback as well!). That would be a lot of help. Is the 828x the only option? My display is currently running through the TB port, can I run these in series somehow?

HCMarcus made a very descript setup option with some examples. I'd say everyone follow that lead. Also, is non-motu gear ok to speak of in motu forum land? I'm open to suggestions.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm using firewire with a Mac Pro 5,1 under Sierra with no issue. I have used both the built-in FW800 and a FW400 PCIe card successfully.

As far as the mkII's sound, loopback tests had it performing better than most interfaces, more linear than the mkIII. Just sayin'. MkII's mic pres (which you won't likely be using) are not stellar, and these units are certainly getting on in the years at this time.
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

For clarification-- Do you want to use the TAPE RTN inputs of the Mackie board and connect the outputs of the MOTU interface to those? Or mix the multitrack in the Mac and just return a stereo output of the MOTU interface to a stereo aux input?
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

TinenTech wrote:For clarification-- Do you want to use the TAPE RTN inputs of the Mackie board and connect the outputs of the MOTU interface to those? Or mix the multitrack in the Mac and just return a stereo output of the MOTU interface to a stereo aux input?
I'd set it up so you can do either or a combination of both simultaneously... all outputs of interface, including main outs, to inputs on the board. If you need all main board inputs for mics and other analog sources, connect interface outputs to the tape returns and flip channels as necessary.

Mix either in or outside the DAW. Send submix stems to your board for analog summing if desired.