828mkI or 828x

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
MozartMetal
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828mkI or 828x

Post by MozartMetal »

Hello MOTUnation! I have a question about hardware that I could some help with. Currently my band is in the process of recording a full length album, and our plan is to record on our own and outsource for mixing etc. My setup for recording right now is an iMac running OSX 10.11.6 with DP9. We are using EWQL VST plugins, and are looking to record guitars with the Kemper amp profiler and/or rocktron prophesy 2 pre amp (we play symphonic metal).

My question is, we are looking for a recording interface that will give us the best possible results for guitar without completely breaking the bank.

I was looking at the MOTU 828x, but I recently acquired a used 828mkI for very cheap. We were going to buy a FireWire to Thunderbolt convertor cable to hook up the 828mkI to the imac...I don't know too much about recording hardware, but I do know the 828mkI is much older. I'm just wondering what are the main differences in quality of the recording of guitars, bass, and vocals between the 828x and 828mkI or is there another interface that would be just as good.

Really new to the whole recording thing in hardware terms, but we are trying to be as self sufficient as possible.

Thanks a bunch and I'm glad to be a part of the community!
mikehalloran

Re: 828mkI or 828x

Post by mikehalloran »

There are a number of differences, sample rate, CueMix (the mkI doesn't have it) etc. you can easily look them up—Google is your friend. The first gen is what, 15 years old or older, now? The newest mkII is 10. Components age.

You don't say what year iMac. If 2011 or later, the 828x is a no brainer. Same with an earlier Intel based iMac except that you'd use USB. You can always use the mkI to add input channels through the optical port.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MozartMetal

Re: 828mkI or 828x

Post by MozartMetal »

mikehalloran wrote:There are a number of differences, sample rate, CueMix (the mkI doesn't have it) etc. you can easily look them up—Google is your friend. The first gen is what, 15 years old or older, now? The newest mkII is 10. Components age.

You don't say what year iMac. If 2011 or later, the 828x is a no brainer. Same with an earlier Intel based iMac except that you'd use USB. You can always use the mkI to add input channels through the optical port.
Hey! Thanks for the reply. Yeah that makes sense. Guess I have a little more saving up to do!