Disabling Unneeded CueMix Channels (2408 / PCIe)

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Releaux
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Disabling Unneeded CueMix Channels (2408 / PCIe)

Post by Releaux »

Hi all,

This is a trivial matter and, I suspect not actually possible to do (there is no mention anywhere on this site or the Internet at large that I could find), BUT...

My rig consists of three 24I/Os and an original 2408. I have a lot of hardware. :D The only thing the 2408 is used for is to send a digital master signal via SPDIF to the monitor chain (Presonus Central Station).

The minor annoyance I would like to try and deal with is that when I go into CueMix, the SPDIF mix is number 9. I'm unable to select SPDIF on Banks A or B, so CueMix fills up the first 8 mixes with Analog, then ADAT inputs and outputs. I will probably never use these.

The annoyance normally shows up when I open up CueMix, do some channel mutes/unmutes, etc., get frustrated because it's not working, and then realize that I'm on Mix 1 (2408 Analog 1-2).

Is there any way to have CueMix hide certain channels? I'd like to do away with the first 8 mixes.

Yes, it's super-trivial, but it would make me so happy. :dance:

(I've even contemplated doing away with the 2408 and burning an output pair from one of the 24I/Os to the monitor chain. Then I could pick up a 4th 24I/O at some point and put one in each corner of the room. ;) )
--
DP 11.3. |. MOTU 24Ai x2, Behringer ADA8200 x3, MOTU MTP-AV USB x2, MOTU MTP-AV x2.
Too much software, too much hardware, not enough time.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20/48 Core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 13.6.4 Ventura)
Mac Pro 5,1 (3.46GHz 12-core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave)
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Disabling Unneeded CueMix Channels (2408 / PCIe)

Post by James Steele »

I think you should be able to launch the PCI Audio Setup app and then disable inputs and outputs you do not anticipate using.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Releaux

Re: Disabling Unneeded CueMix Channels (2408 / PCIe)

Post by Releaux »

Thanks, James. That was the first place I looked - whether the interfaces are enabled / disabled doesn't seem to have any effect on the "Mix" list in CueMix FX. I also tried that with routing enabled and disabled and doing different inputs/outputs.

That actually kind of surprised me, because I have this vague recollection from back in the day where that actually did remove mixer channels from CueMix, but that was the old version.

I'm guessing that function didn't make it into the new generation CueMix (nor did the narrow mixer channel options). As I said, it's not the end of the world, but it would sure be nice to get rid of them.

(Of course, this could be the excuse I need to go ahead and put that ADAT output card into my Kurzweil so I at least have a better reason to keep the 2408 in the rig). :)
--
DP 11.3. |. MOTU 24Ai x2, Behringer ADA8200 x3, MOTU MTP-AV USB x2, MOTU MTP-AV x2.
Too much software, too much hardware, not enough time.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20/48 Core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 13.6.4 Ventura)
Mac Pro 5,1 (3.46GHz 12-core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave)