CoreAudio driver for Mac OS X 10.4 Traveler MKii

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
SteveHVasil
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

CoreAudio driver for Mac OS X 10.4 Traveler MKii

Post by SteveHVasil »

I bought a Traveler MKii recently; the seller didn't have the CD which shipped with the unit(I believe this to be true).

Where do I find the coreaudio driver to go along with the following:
File Name: MOTU_Audio_Installer-Mac-100915.zip
MOTU Universal Audio Install for Mac OS X 10.4

Use this installer if you are using Mac OS X 10.4.x. This installer installs FireWire, USB and PCI audio interface drivers for Mac OS X 10.4.x. Thanks,
mikehalloran

Re: CoreAudio driver for Mac OS X 10.4 Traveler MKii

Post by mikehalloran »

Core Audio drivers are part of the Mac OS. MOTU FireWire devices require drivers to enable Core Audio to have multi-channel functionality. They install /System/Library/ Extensions. These drivers are still available at MOTU.com. You want the last Audio Drivers version compatible with OS 10.4—I can't tell if the ones you reference are they.

The CD also installs AudioDesk v.1 or 2. You do not need AD unless you have no other DAW.

MOTU lists the Traveller and the mkIII. The system requirement for the Traveller is OS 10.2; for the mkIII is OS 10.4.9 or later.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
SteveHVasil

Post by SteveHVasil »

When I load the MOTU drivers(I've tried everything that seemed even close), everything is where it should be except the coreaudio driver. I think if I had the traveler coreaudio driver, I'd be good to go. I am beginning a conversation with MOTU tech support and hopefully will get up and running soon. Thanks again.
SteveHVasil

Post by SteveHVasil »

I am beginning to think the CoreAudio driver is not included in the set of drivers on the MOTU website but is only on the CD which comes with the interface. After loading drivers, there is nothing in the location where the CoreAudio driver should be.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

SteveHVasil wrote:I am beginning to think the CoreAudio driver is not included in the set of drivers on the MOTU website but is only on the CD which comes with the interface. After loading drivers, there is nothing in the location where the CoreAudio driver should be.
That is not correct. You do not need the CD to get the correct audio drivers.

There is no Traveller mkII. If you have a mkIII, the OS needs to be 10.4.9 or later. Is it? If not, it won't work and you must update the OS. If you have the original Traveller, the minimum OS is 10.2.x.

The audio and MIDI drivers for OS 10.4.x are the same for all interfaces that work on a PPC. MOTU could have made these easier to find... You need to download and install this:

MOTU Audio Installer v1.5.38352 (Release Date 2011-03-28)
Compatibility: OS X 10.4.x

http://www.motu.com/download/download_m ... oad_id=179

Since the Traveller has MIDI, you will also need to find and install the MIDI drivers. This is the one you need.

MOTU MIDI Installer v1.5.37320 (Release Date 2010-01-12)
Compatibility: OS X 10.4.x

For any of the MIDI devices, click on the button Legacy Mac to find it here:
http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/driverlog

PDF manuals are great—you can search them in a second or two. Here is the manual in .pdf. Search for Core Audio — it will turn up eleven times. Read all of them and you will have a better understanding. Here is the mkIII:
http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firewi ... de_Mac.pdf
The original Traveller:
http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firewi ... al_Mac.pdf

Again, if you need Audio Desk, you need to buy the CD—if MOTU still has it for your unit. BTW, it will install old versions of the drivers and you will still need to find and install the ones above.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
SteveHVasil

Post by SteveHVasil »

Thanks again Mike,
I have the original Traveler; I appreciate you.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

SteveHVasil wrote:Thanks again Mike,
I have the original Traveler; I appreciate you.
No problem.

The MOTU site used to be easier for finding and understanding this legacy stuff. There are a few of us old f... er... long time users around here. We may not remember what it is or how it used to work but often know where it can be found.

An old G4 with DP 4.01 – 7.01 has a lot of life in it for making music. If you look at my signature, I still have one for legacy applications. My favorite legacy version is still DP 5.13. OS 10.4.x was current till nine and a half years ago.
SteveHVasil

Post by SteveHVasil »

I have loaded the sets of drivers you've specified, checked and double-checked, loaded them on two different computers to ensure I don't have a problem with an individual computer. They're both Mac OS X 10.4.11. I still am missing the Core Audio driver and so the Mac can't recognize the Traveler. I will have my wife check behind me tomorrow.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

SteveHVasil wrote:I have loaded the sets of drivers you've specified, checked and double-checked, loaded them on two different computers to ensure I don't have a problem with an individual computer. They're both Mac OS X 10.4.11. I still am missing the Core Audio driver and so the Mac can't recognize the Traveler. I will have my wife check behind me tomorrow.
Are the drivers installed in /System/Library/ Extensions ? If so, they are there. I'll fire up my G4 tomorrow to see the actual name of the drivers.

Does it show up in Apple's Audio MIDI Setup? Does it show up in MOTU Audio Setup? This installed with the drivers.

Do not assume that's why the Mac can't see the device. There are many reasons why it may not—among them is that the port may not be functioning properly on the Mac or the device.

Reset the PRAM in case the FW port has crashed (it's called the NV RAM on an Intel Mac)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
If you connect a MOTU FW device through a FireWire hub, that can happen—use a direct connection.
SteveHVasil

Post by SteveHVasil »

My wife looked through the drivers and didn't see anything like a MOTU coreaudio file, but we don't know what the file's name would be.

"Does it show up in Apple's Audio MIDI Setup? Does it show up in MOTU Audio Setup?" No, neither one.

We run our own business making mugs with logos(my wife is a stoneware ceramics artist) and are making deliveries today, but I'll take a look at this later today.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Does it show up under FireWire in About This Mac?

My 828 shows up as Vendor 0x1F2 Device 0x101800. Yours should have a similar number.

If you don't see that, then it's a bad unit or your FW bus is having problems. Did you reset the PRAM? If not, DO THIS FIRST. If you still don't see the Traveller, do it again. I once had to do it three times on my G5 to repair the FW port.

The name of the file you are looking for is MOTUFireWireAudio.kext. Forget CoreAudio—there is no file by that name anywhere in the Extensions folder.

You have three Library folders—are you checking the right one? It is in System/Library/Extensions. It will not show up in either of the other two (Library and Users/user name/library). If you View by Date Modified (View menu), it will be in the top row. Otherwise, search the folder.

Here's how to set your unit to factory defaults:

Traveler Original: Push the MIX knob until the LCD screen displays "Clock Source:". Turn the MIX knob all the way to the right, until the LCD screen displays "Factory Defaults Push [SELECT]". Push the SELECT knob once, the LCD screen will display "Are you sure? Push VAL for Yes". Push the Value knob to confirm. The clock LED will flash rapidly to confirm the unit has been reset.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

One more thing: The Traveller does not need the MOTU Audio Driver to work—it supports CoreAudio, built into OS X. The problem is that Apple CoreAudio only supports two channels on a PPC. Without the MOTU driver, that's all it can handle (and who wants that?).

At the risk of repeating myself, the MOTU driver enhances CoreAudio so that it supports multi-track record and playback through your MOTU FireWire device.

Just to be clear, I haven't used the CD that came with my MOTU devices—ever—and I go back nearly 20 years. I figured that the drivers on the disk were out of date by the time the unit shipped (always true). Having DP, I never needed Audio Desk.
SteveHVasil

Post by SteveHVasil »

I understand, thanks-the MOTU website is more reliable than I've been thinking. I have some things to rule out.
SteveHVasil

Post by SteveHVasil »

The drivers are there as they should be. I reset the PRAM a few times, and set the traveler to factory defaults as you directed. Eventually, I installed a firewire external hard-drive which was recognized by both of my computers just fine; now I know my firewire port and cable are okay and can focus on the Traveler, which may not be okay.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

SteveHVasil wrote:The drivers are there as they should be. I reset the PRAM a few times, and set the traveler to factory defaults as you directed. Eventually, I installed a firewire external hard-drive which was recognized by both of my computers just fine; now I know my firewire port and cable are okay and can focus on the Traveler, which may not be okay.
About all you can do is open the unit, burnish the ribbon connectors (disconnect and reconnect 3 times), check for cold solder joints around the FW connector and look at the capacitors to see if any are mushrooming.

MOTU has a refurb program but a first gen Traveller may be too old to qualify. I would give them a call, though. If still available, it's less expensive than a used one on eBay.

Nearly all current MOTU interfaces require OS 10.5 (PPC), 10.6 or later. The Traveller-mk3 may be the lone exception:

What are the system requirements for the Traveler-mk3?
System requirements for the Traveler-mk3

The Traveler-mk3 has the following system requirements:

For Mac OS X:
PowerPC G4 CPU 500 MHz or faster (including PowerPC G5 CPUs and all Intel processor Macs)
Mac OS X version 10.8, 10.7, 10.6, 10.5 or 10.4; v10.4.9 or later required