828x Stopped working well under Sierra

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
tonoriesco
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828x Stopped working well under Sierra

Post by tonoriesco »

Hi all,

I've been using my 828x for some years without main problems. Not a easy product but was working well. Lately I updated to Sierra since in the Motu site they said that the software was compatible with Sierra...but... but...

I experimented some strange problems trying to select the different monitors attached to the main outputs, analog outputs and headphones... I thought that could be a "dirty" OS since there are some years I haven't cleaned... so, I re-installed from scratch Sierra, reinstalled all the Motu drivers..and has been working for some days until now. :(

The main problem is that the 828x doesn't answer to the "orders" about the outputs! If I select, for example, the Analogs 3-4 in the Default Stereo Output, the sound from iTunes/Safary/Quickmove doesn't go the the output...is going randomly to other outputs.

I tried 12566 things... nothing worked until...surprise, surprise, I changed the Sample Rate to the maximum... 192200 and... works perfectly!!! If I down the the rate... stop sending the signals to the correct place...

I tried with Enabled Core Audio Volume Control, without, ... nothing changes. Also, I found that sometimes, works when I open the Audio MIDI Setup and I select the Speakers to the output I want... but that was not happening before.

I open a ticket in Motu...Jus wondering if somebody has a similar problem...

Regards.
Motublaster

Re: 828x Stopped working well under Sierra

Post by Motublaster »

Hi No advice to offer I'm afraid but I recently had a catastrophic upgrade to Sierra from El Capitan 10.11.6.
I'm using a 24Ai, a 24Ao both via usb, MIDI Timepiece AV (usb) and DP9x. Mac Pro (Mid 2012), 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 12 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC.
Everything was working perfectly under El Capitan but I try to keep all systems reasonably up to date (but usually waiting about a year on the OS).
knowing about issues visa vi usb audio with Sierra I waited until Motu posted the audio and MIDI driver updates.
I installed these after the Sierra upgrade - possibly I should have done this before?
Immediately Core Audio came up with "need to select outputs" or words to that effect and everything including Wavelab all 'bombed out'.
Eventually after trying endless remedies I restored back to El Capitan via Time Machine - all working again.
Haven't had the time to raise with Motu yet so if anybody can throw some light on the situation I'd be grateful.
Cheers
Mac Pro (Mid 2012), 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 12 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
24Ai, 24Ao both via usb, MIDI Timepiece AV (usb) and DP9x.
tonoriesco

Post by tonoriesco »

Well... I'm going to wait a bit (one week or two) to see if MOTU find a final stable driver or the friends here give me some advise, solution.

If in 10 days I don't have a solution, I'm going to install back El Capitan. Is true that everything was working perfectly before.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

tonoriesco wrote:Well... I'm going to wait a bit (one week or two) to see if MOTU find a final stable driver or the friends here give me some advise, solution.

If in 10 days I don't have a solution, I'm going to install back El Capitan. Is true that everything was working perfectly before.
I would think that MOTU is pretty busy with Winter NAMM this week.

I would certainly give them a call, however. There are a number of people who are running that interface under the current Mac OS who are not having this problem.

Let us know what you find out.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tonoriesco

Post by tonoriesco »

Well... I come for updates...

After some good exchanges with the MOTU support line, I received a standard-request-for-stopping-more-questions....

That means, that they don't understand after more than 6 exchanges... I did even a 5 minutes video with the problems to shows that there are lots of problems with the 828x and Sierra...but... I didn't receive any answer and also a kind of... there is some problems there????

Well.. for sure, I'm not going to buy any other MOTU product but probably I'm going to publish in youtube all the videos with the problems...probably when I'll have thousand of visits they take in account my requests...

Regards.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

tonoriesco wrote:Well... I come for updates...
What driver are you using? The latest has been problematic for some users. Have you tried downgrading?

http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/driverlog
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Also, what firmware are you on? I'm still using 1.03 on Yosemite OSX10.10.5
Audio driver 1.6.7918.

I don't trust the new firware- due to my current 828x is a replacement (in warranty), for a bricked new one after I updated the firmware.

http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/firmwarechangelog
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
tonoriesco

Post by tonoriesco »

Hi and thank you very much for your answers.

I think that both of you are right... As I told to the Motu support, I'm always focusing in Sierra...but, also I did the update from 1.04 to 1.06 firmware because the CueMix FX was blinking ramdomly with the meters up and down without reason and I though that the new firmware will solve that...

Probably I'm going to downgrade the firmware and the driver to check... In any case, I'm using now a Focusrite that is working like a charm...

I'm so fustrated to having paid so much money for a product that I thought was the top of quality... :banghead: