Traveler Mk1 Headphone out problem - sum of L & R -ve feeds

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Studio 96
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Traveler Mk1 Headphone out problem - sum of L & R -ve feeds

Post by Studio 96 »

Hi everyone,

I have the original Traveler and have recently noticed when trying to record vocals, that the headphone out is not giving me true L R channels, but is stripping out the vocals. From experience this sounds the same as 'stereo difference' i.e. when the -ve feed from both channels are put to a single speaker and the vocal is stripped.

I'm using Sierra, with Logic Pro X, on a TB to Firewire lead. All other inputs and outputs appear to be performing as expected, and I have the Phones assign to Output 1 - 2.

What's also odd is that my little foster desk monitors, connected to output 1-2 on balanced jacks from the MOTU, have a headphone jack which performs as expected. I have reset to the default so don't believe I have any funny mix presets going on. Has anyone else experienced this from the MOTU or from the Mac?

Thanks,

Andrew
cuttime

Re: Traveler Mk1 Headphone out problem - sum of L & R -ve fe

Post by cuttime »

Sounds like the tip and ring are shorted out. It could be a very minor mis-alignment. You might be able to fix it with a small dowel or toothpick. Maybe a good cleaning will do the trick. If none of the above, then you might need to replace the jack.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Studio 96

Re: Traveler Mk1 Headphone out problem - sum of L & R -ve fe

Post by Studio 96 »

Thanks cuttime - much appreciated - when checking the T/R I tried another 6.3 - 3.5 adapter which has done the trick! Simple things... should have checked first. Thanks for posting and glad it's fixed..!