million dollar question about 2408 mk3 standalone and Dm3200

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
airrera
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

million dollar question about 2408 mk3 standalone and Dm3200

Post by airrera »

Hello everyone,

I'm a new user, sorry for my bad english...

I hope someone could kindly help me to understand the "real" behavior of 2408 mk2/mk3 in standalone mode, in particular performing TDIF to Adat / Analog conversion.

I know that the interface (all gen. ) works that way, with some routing limitation (no bi-directional)

Question: is possible to route 16 ch through 2 Tdif bank (from my Tascam dm3200) to Adat AND analog outs of the Motu, simultaneously?

I mean I need to convert 8 TDIF ch. to ADAT (for multitrack recording with another interface) while I send the other 8 TDIF ch. to Analog outs, for live sound monitoring.

As far I know, it seems this simultaneous conversion should work with a single bank: 8 Tdif signals are sent to Adat AND Analog outs in standalone mode. If I select one Tdif bank as source, I should get this 8 ch. in both adat and analog format - I found this in a couple of forums (...any confirmation??)

Assuming this is correct, I'm wondering what's result if I connect 2 Tdif cables from my DM3200 to that Motu!?

The purpose is to expand physical outs of the desk with 8 extra analog and 8 extra adat sends, without adding Tascam expansion cards, and using a laptop (so no PCI 424 = no CueMix...)

Any help?

I quote a list of available input sources from an old post:
thelonecynic wrote:The unit can do conversion in some limited capacity.

You can select the following input banks as your source.
01. ADAT input bank A
02. ADAT input bank B
03. ADAT input bank C
04. ADAT input banks A-C
05. TDIF input bank A
06. TDIF input bank B
07. TDIF input bank C
08. TDIF input banks A-C
09. Analog input (wired to bank C)
10. SPDIF inputs (wired to bank C)
[/quote]

Maybe selecting as source 08. TDIF (A-C) I could get this result?

Thank you and merry christmas from Italy!

Alberto
Alberto - StudioSoundLab
---
[studio] Tascam DM3200 / A&H Zed428 / Digi 192+96 IO / Motu 8M AVB / PT 10HD / Dell Hackintosh Xeon 12 core / Focusrite-Dbx-Drawmer-Joemeek outboard / ESI & Yamaha monitors and several others toys...
---
[home & mobile setup] Yamaha 01v96i / Motu Ultralite AVB / Pro Tools 10-12 / MBP 15" 2014 / DELL M6700 / JBL monitors
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: million dollar question about 2408 mk3 standalone and Dm

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'm sorry I don't have that unit and can't help, but I'm curious how that's a million dollar question? I'd value it at about $300 at most.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
airrera

Post by airrera »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I'm sorry I don't have that unit and can't help, but I'm curious how that's a million dollar question? I'd value it at about $300 at most.
:D

...too much emphasis??

Really is a very particular thing, I guess, I checked all possible Motu manuals and a lot of forums without a final verdict about this specific scenario.

However you would not even won the 300! Sorry...

Bye
Alberto - StudioSoundLab
---
[studio] Tascam DM3200 / A&H Zed428 / Digi 192+96 IO / Motu 8M AVB / PT 10HD / Dell Hackintosh Xeon 12 core / Focusrite-Dbx-Drawmer-Joemeek outboard / ESI & Yamaha monitors and several others toys...
---
[home & mobile setup] Yamaha 01v96i / Motu Ultralite AVB / Pro Tools 10-12 / MBP 15" 2014 / DELL M6700 / JBL monitors
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

airrera wrote: However you would not even won the 300! Sorry...

Bye
:rofl:

So true! I did win a MOTU Track 16 at a MOTU event several years ago. Still works. I'll settle for that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
airrera

Post by airrera »

...no 2408 / DM owner may clarify the point?

In summary: selecting 2 TDIF banks as source in stand-alone mode, the motu analog outs mirror the signal of digital ports, or not?

If yes, which bank they mirror?

I think it's strange no one knows that... could be a good deal to get this extra I/O for many DM owners: 16 adat outs and 14 analog outs from your desk, with a single cheap piece of gear and no software/computer need...

:?: :?: :?:
Alberto - StudioSoundLab
---
---
janzoulou
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by janzoulou »

Hi! Yes that should work. But really sure? Nope... I never used them as standalone items. But I think if you got a PCI - card you can configure them like this. Best, Frederic

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Mac Pro, quad core, 3.7, 32Gig Ram OSX 10.10.5 AVB, 112D & 24o, 3X RME Adi 8 QRS, UAD 2, Analog gear...
http://www.fonojet.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

In stand alone mode, when you select one bank as your digital input, it is outputed to all three. There are options on how to route the audio. If you select three banks, then it's A-A, B-B and C-C. Period. There is no mode for blending two banks in stand alone.

If analog is the source, it is outputed to all three banks, both ADAT and TDIF. SPDIF is bank C only.

It's all in the manual.
http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/pci-au ... de_Mac.pdf

I don't think I've used mine in standalone mode for 15 years or so but that's how I remember it.

You can certainly do everything you want in PCI mode hooked up to a computer. Those settings do not save, however.

Many MOTU interfaces can be set up attached to a computer and will remember those settings in standalone mode. The PCI interfaces cannot do this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
airrera

Post by airrera »

Thank you so much Mike.

It's a bit better, however still don't understand how analog OUTS work in this scenario (Tdif as source).

Let's say I set 3 Tdif getting the AA-BB-CC configuration... In this case, analog outs would be totally mute, or they mirror one of the 3 banks, as someone says? "A" bank, maybe?

That's the exact info I miss, but guess only some 2408 owner with a tdif capable machine (and some patience...) could help me!

I don't want to blend sources, but to get 8 ch in adat and 8 ch in analog starting from 16 tdif ch.

I will try to find some unit for sale in my area, making a real check of this on field, it's my only chance!

I'm trying to avoid PCI-only configuration, 'cause I don't need that in the studio: this setup should be for theatre and live shows where I haven't a desktop computer, and where I could take advantage of extra analog outputs for stage and pa, while recording the extra adat out...

Regards
Alberto - StudioSoundLab
---
---
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You want 16 channels in. Your only choice is A-A, B-B, C-C. Analog, in this case, mirrors C. There is no way to get it to see A or B because you can't mix the inputs. Saying you don't want to blend them doesn't change the fact that's exactly what you want to do.

The manual is clear. I have tried to be clear.

It doesn't matter how you rephrase the question. The reason you can't see how to do it is because there is no way without a computer connected.

Back to my first answer in the other thread. With analog outs in stand alone mode you are limited to 8 channels. If there are only 8 channels in, they can be on any one bank; you have much flexibility. With more than 8 in, you are limited to the 8 that come in on bank C.

:rtfmmad:

I'll take my million $ now. :rofl:
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

What about CueMix? Could he set up a preset that does some of the routing he wants in standalone mode? I had to do something like that when working with a Yamaha digital mixer once, don't remember the details. (It would be easier to set up the preset with the computer connected, but once it was saved as a preset you could just recall it.)
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

TinenTech wrote:What about CueMix? Could he set up a preset that does some of the routing he wants in standalone mode? I had to do something like that when working with a Yamaha digital mixer once, don't remember the details. (It would be easier to set up the preset with the computer connected, but once it was saved as a preset you could just recall it.)
Not possible. For starters, CueMix is generated by the PCI 424 card, not the interfaces connected to it. It's not available in standalone. In fact, if you have a 324 card like I, CueMix is not available at all.

According to the manual, presets are not saved once the computer is disconnected from the PCI interfaces. This is how I remember it, too.

There are other MOTU interfaces that can be set with a Mac or PC connected that will recall those settings in standalone.