Cna I pick your brain about MOTU AVB interfaces?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Synthead
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Cna I pick your brain about MOTU AVB interfaces?

Post by Synthead »

Hey all,

I'm tempted to make the leap and grab a 24ai and 24ao, but I had some questions first!
  1. Does the 24ai support phantom power? Can I run a mic directly into these inputs, or should I use a mic pre?
  2. AVB is an open protocol, but how about MOTU's implementation? Can I expect AVB devices from various manufacturers to work with each other under one ASIO driver?
  3. How's the latency with AVB compared to Firewire, USB, Thunderbolt, etc.? I'm hearing mixed results from MOTU and the community about this one!
  4. Can I use my computer's on-board NIC for AVB (without using USB, etc.)?
  5. How does an interface like the 24ai and 24ao sound in comparison with similar RME gear? Be honest!
  6. Can I use a 24ai and 24ao only? They're generally regarded as "expansion" interfaces and seem to be recommended alongside something like the 16A. I would rather just have these two; would this work ok?
  7. How about Linux support? Is there any future for MOTU and Linux?
  8. Any other thoughts for investing in AVB gear right now? This is for a home studio with a lot of analog I/O, so I really like the idea of tossing a second 24ai via AVB if need be.
  9. Is there a way I can get a hold of MOTU to ask some of these questions without being a MOTU user?
I know this is a laundry list of questions, so please let me know if you can answer any of them! Thanks!
Synthead
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Cna I pick your brain about MOTU AVB interfaces?

Post by Synthead »

Just called MOTU's tech support line listed at http://motu.com/techsupport. The rep was happy to answer questions even though I wasn't a MOTU customer.

Here's what I found:
  1. The 24ai does not support phantom power, and there are no mic preamps in this interface. It's line-level only.
  2. Some interfaces work with others, but not all. MOTU has implemented some proprietary methods in AVB to reduce the latency from about 2 ms to down to around 0.6 ms. These methods will likely not be utilized with other manufacturers (if it works).
  3. Latency (as reported by MOTU) is 3 ms for USB, 1.5 ms for Thunderbolt, and 0.6 ms with AVB. When connecting MOTU hardware together with AVB (but still using USB or Thunderbolt to the computer), 64 channels are supported with USB, 128 channels are supported via Thunderbolt.
  4. At this time, only direct connections with AVB is supported by their implementation with OS X. Connections made with Windows needs to be made with either USB or Thunderbolt, but the devices themselves can be networked together with AVB (network cable).
  5. Didn't ask this question as I'd get a very biased answer!
  6. This will work fine, but the 24ai and 24ao only has a USB connection, so if you're on Windows and want to use only these interfaces, you'll get that added 1.5 ms of latency vs Thunderbolt. This doesn't apply to OS X; direct AVB works fine in this case and there shouldn't be problems. However, to connect two interfaces to the computer via AVB, you'll need to use a switch that's AVB-compatible. Not all switches pass AVB as AVB doesn't use Ethernet, TCP/UDP, etc.
  7. MOTU said that none of their devices have had official Linux support, and vendor-provided Linux support for their AVB devices seems highly unlikely.
  8. I asked about interfaces with mic preamps, and the rep said that 8M is an AVB/USB/thunderbolt interface that has eight preamps with phantom power. This can be paired with a 24ai or something with AVB if desired.
  9. Turns out that the MOTU tech support guys are happy to answer any technical questions related to their gear, and they can be reached at 617.576.3066.
Hope this helps!
mdee
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Cna I pick your brain about MOTU AVB interfaces?

Post by mdee »

What have you decided to do?

I want to expand my Mic Inputs in order to record Acoustic Drums. I'm tempted to purchase both the 1248 and an 8M to Network together. The 1248 would replace my 828mk3 in my Control Room (connected to the Computer) and the 8M would be by the Drums connected to the 1248 over Optical.

I wonder if anyone actually uses MOTU Interfaces to record Drums?
27 inch iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 40GB Ram - macOS Sonoma 14.3.1
Logic Pro X 10.8.1 - Performer Lite 11.23 - LUNA 1.5.3
Apollo X6 - UAD 11.1.0 - UAD OX 1.2