MicroBook IIc, iPad only

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
mikulas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MicroBook IIc, iPad only

Post by mikulas »

Hi,

from older posts here, I have understood that there currently is no iPad app that would do Cuemix's work in an iPad-only setup. But I would like to know how can MicroBook IIc be used without a computer anyway.
One thing that is still not entirely clear to me from the specs and reviews is: can it be used as a multichannel output from iPad? Can one route three different stereo channels to the phones and outs 1,2 and 3.4 respectively?
Some reviews seem to suggest that MicroBook only accepts a single stereo track from the computer, making it more of a mixer than a multichannel interface.

So, can anybody please confirm, that MicroBook IIc can be used for multichannel output using ipad only?
mikehalloran

Re: MicroBook IIc, iPad only

Post by mikehalloran »

An iOS device can deal with multi-track when connected via the Apple Lightening—USB adapter aka the Camera Kit if USB Class Compliant

As the "c" in its name implies, the MicroBook IIc is USB audio class compliant. Use a standard Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (purchased separately) to connect the MicroBook IIc to your iPad. Then record and monitor high-quality audio with your favorite iOS apps. Power the MicroBook IIc with the included Micro-USB cable and AC wall adapter.

http://motu.com/newsitems/introducing-the-microbook-iic
http://motu.com/products/motuaudio/microbook/body.html

The MicroBook IIc can record and play all channels simultaneously, and high-speed USB 2.0 provides plenty of bandwidth, even at 96 kHz.

Here's the adapter.
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821 ... ra-adapter

There is no version of Cue Mix for iOS. The device and iOS can handle more than 2 tracks. There are a number of iOS DAWs that can output multi-track. I think even GarageBand has that functionality and it's free.
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/14- ... ces-574065
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/mul ... -daws-ipad

How any of this works with what you want to do is something that none of us can answer (yet?). You've asked if something is possible but haven't said what you are trying to accomplish. A detailed "this is what I'm trying to accomplish" might or might not get an answer here—I don't know that any of us are using this unit. It will, however, allow someone at MOTU to say yes, no or here's how you do it when you email the specific question to them.

So, what are you looking to do? Live? Field recording? Demos in your room? Mic, Line or both? How do you want to monitor? What's the goal? The better your description, the more accurate the answer. It's possible that someone may point to a better interface for you.

Nobody wants you to waste your money on something that can't do the job.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikulas

Post by mikulas »

What I'm trying accomplish is just get a different sound in each channel, no input. If this is possible, then all my needs are matched.

To be more precise, I play electric bass and like to combine it with both software and hardware effects in rather noisy setups, I would like to get something like this:
Bass in -> iPad processing -> Stomboxes/Kaoss Pad/etc -> iPad processing -> Master Out

I would also like to use this as multichannel output for quad sound tracks backing and a click (so, five channel pre-recorded output)
Not having to carry around a computer for this conceptually simple task would be amazing.

So, does class compliance state, that every in/out channel can be accessed individually from any device that can talk to the protocol?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mikulas wrote:What I'm trying accomplish is just get a different sound in each channel, no input. If this is possible, then all my needs are matched.

To be more precise, I play electric bass and like to combine it with both software and hardware effects in rather noisy setups, I would like to get something like this:
Bass in -> iPad processing -> Stomboxes/Kaoss Pad/etc -> iPad processing -> Master Out

I would also like to use this as multichannel output for quad sound tracks backing and a click (so, five channel pre-recorded output)
Not having to carry around a computer for this conceptually simple task would be amazing.

So, does class compliance state, that every in/out channel can be accessed individually from any device that can talk to the protocol?
If the device and the software support this, yes. It also means that no 3rd party drivers are required--since iOS doesn't allow you to install these, it's important.

One of the links takes you to an iOS DAW that supports 24 tracks in/out in if your interface can handle it.

So, bass in, click plus four individual tracks out = 6 channels, right? How do you expect to monitor while recording?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikulas

Post by mikulas »

I am planning to use this for live performance, so monitoring is not that important. That's why I'm concerned with compactness and computer-less operation.