828 MK3 Cue Mix route Main Out to Optical Tos or ADAT

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
MC242
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828 MK3 Cue Mix route Main Out to Optical Tos or ADAT

Post by MC242 »

Hallo, like described in the topic I have an 828 MK3 Hybrid interface and I would like to assign the Main Out to the Optical Toslink Output 1-2 or 3-4, or Adat 1-2 etc...
I already tried in the MOTU Audio Setup without any success.
I can only get audio out of the Optical Outs when I assign an output directly in my daw e.g. Ableton Live. Then it works without a problem.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help!

Thank you and best wishes from Germany!
RodneySauer

Re: 828 MK3 Cue Mix route Main Out to Optical Tos or ADAT

Post by RodneySauer »

Have you tried routing it with CueMix?
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

If your S/PDIF is free, use a COAX cable to loop the output back to the input and send your audio to it. Now the output will be available in Cuemix to send from the S/PDIF slider out to any device you want. (Cuemix only allows mixing and redirecting of external inputs, not internal ones such as those coming from a DAW or from your system sounds. This trick converts an internal input to an external one.)

The same is true of doing a loop-back of audio ports, but people usually have those used up, while the S/PDIF port sits idle.

Be careful not to create a feedback loop by sending the S/PDIF back to itself in Cuemix, of course.

Terry

[EDIT: I just noticed you actually specified wanting to direct the port called "Main Out" to the ADAT. I did not answer to that desire, but hopefully this may still be useful as a workaround for something you are doing. Sorry - still very early in the morning here and no coffee yet.]
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
MC242

Post by MC242 »

RodneySauer, I have tried it but it seems that it's not possible. Actually this is possible with RME's Totalmix and Focusrite's MixControl. Anyway... terrybritton has an interesting workaround.
MC242

Post by MC242 »

terrybritton, thank you for this workaround. I read it somewhere else already but I couldn't believe you can't do this with the CueMix software. I can't imagine that it's so hard to implement as many other manufacturers like RME and Focusrite have it in their respective mix software.
But as long as my SPDIF port is free (it is not always unfortunately) this will work. But I hope I don't destroy anything if I accidentally forget to mute or turn down the input monitoring of the SPDIF.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

MC242 wrote:terrybritton, thank you for this workaround. I read it somewhere else already but I couldn't believe you can't do this with the CueMix software. I can't imagine that it's so hard to implement as many other manufacturers like RME and Focusrite have it in their respective mix software.
But as long as my SPDIF port is free (it is not always unfortunately) this will work. But I hope I don't destroy anything if I accidentally forget to mute or turn down the input monitoring of the SPDIF.
I have mistakenly turned on the S/PDIF and sent it back to itself, and aside from a disturbing noise, it did no perceivable harm. It only took doing it twice to cure me from doing it again for a lifetime, though! :-)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools