Old 828 - weird problem

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Sehb
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Old 828 - weird problem

Post by Sehb »

Hi everyone, you guys are one of my last hope ;-)
I have this old 828 motu audio interface and up to recently, it's always been of great services but lately, I don't know why, this happens each time I launch any audio software : I have incredible distorted signal coming out from outputs 1 and 5 and SPDIF out led is on (which I don't know if it's supposed to be that way or not.. can't remember) even when nothing is playing or when no session is open in any software I use (digi perf mostly).
Even if I launch Garage Band I get the problem. Do you have any idea where the problem could be coming from ? This is so annoying and frustrating. Thank you.
A smile,
Sëhb.
mikehalloran

Re: Old 828 - weird problem

Post by mikehalloran »

Try resetting to the factory default.

http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/reset

Voltage Reset: To perform a voltage reset, power the unit down and disconnect all cables. On the right side (the depth) of your unit, there is a red voltage selector. Toggle this switch back and forth several times, and be sure to reset it to the correct voltage .... Power the unit back on and test.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Sehb

Post by Sehb »

Hi there and thanks for trying,
I did try your suggestion not really believing it would do anything (sorry) but... what have I got to loose ?
Well, it didn't work.
Crap, I think I might have to get a new one...
After 15 years (at least) of very good services... impermanence.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Sehb wrote:Hi there and thanks for trying,
I did try your suggestion not really believing it would do anything (sorry) but... what have I got to loose ?
Well, it didn't work.
Crap, I think I might have to get a new one...
After 15 years (at least) of very good services... impermanence.
Yea, it was worth a try but, as you've pointed out, these are quite old. The newest builds of the mkII (like mine) are now over 9 years old.

When one channel goes out, that's not a good sign.

You can try opening it up, burning the internal connectors by unplugging and reconnecting each three times. Can't hurt but probably won't help, either.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro