MTP/AV question regarding Intel Mac compatibility

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

I remember reading that MTP/AV interfaces need to have a certain ROM update to be compatible with Intel Macs... is that right? Does anybody know offhand what version ROM is required and can this been seen on powerup on the unit? How do you verify? I might pick up a used one and don't want to be stuck with a boat anchor. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: MTP/AV question regarding Intel Mac compatibility

Post by James Steele »

Nevermind... found the answer here from 8 years ago... LOL

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29661&start=0

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Re: MTP/AV question regarding Intel Mac compatibility

Post by mikehalloran »

Yep. The firmware and the USB chips have the version #s on paper stickers if you pop the top—in case the unit has the updated chip set like mine.

I upgraded mine in 2012 after I noticed they were gone from the web site. I called MOTU and got lucky.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm already daisy chaining and old serial MTP off my MTP/AV and it works fine except reliable sysex isn't possible for anything connected to the attached MTP. Any device I wish to send/receive sysex to/from must be connected to the MTP/AV. Hence if I could get another MTP/AV cheap, I'd connect it to my USB hub and use instead of the MTP.