I need MORE outputs - will an 828 do?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
BonDarker
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I need MORE outputs - will an 828 do?

Post by BonDarker »

Questions! Questions!
Again I ask questions that likely have answers already covered in detail but where to look????

I'm looking for an inexpensive solution... I have an 828 Mk3 and I'm using it via Firewire in live shows with a MacBook Pro. Now I need more than the 4 pairs of outputs provided on the Mk3 as I want to route individual instruments to their own amp/speakers.

My question is this: Can any of the MOTU 828 Firewire models (the original 828, Mk1, or Mk2) be added to my existing set-up, via an optical cable, to provide an additional 4 pairs of audio outputs? And will CueMix FX also recognize the additional 4 stereo output pairs from the older unit along with those from my main 828 Mk3?

Considering I only need the additional outputs, would there be any advantage/disadvantage of using an 828, 828 mk1, or 828 mk2????

And if I wanted to expand MIDI outs it looks like I'd need to get an MIDI Express or something with USB — sound right?

Thanks Unicorns.
Ones of these days I'll be smart enough to offer help too.
But I'm learning.
BD
mikehalloran

Re: I need MORE outputs - will an 828 do?

Post by mikehalloran »

Why not hook up the second 828 via FireWire? You could make the two an aggregate device for audio and have another MIDI device built in. The mkII has CueMix.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've used a MOTU 2408 with an 828-3 FW to get more ins and outs, so I'd suppose you can do the same with other MOTU units with ADAT. But I had to use separate instances of Cuemix to see both units but perhaps one instance of Cuemix will see more than one unit if they are the same model.

I also had to connect the units with wordclock. ADAT is supposed to carry clocking info, but I could never get it to work reliably.

Maybe an alternative is to get a cheap ADAT converter similar to the ADA8000 and connect it to the 828-3
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
BonDarker

Post by BonDarker »

mikehalloran wrote:Why not hook up the second 828 via FireWire? You could make the two an aggregate device for audio and have another MIDI device built in. The mkII has CueMix.
Mike
I get the jest of your suggestion but not quite sure how to implement or am I overthinking it?
I really like the added MIDI I/O potential but "if" I understand what you are suggesting, don't I get—as bayswater suggested—two separate instances of CueMix?

So, is this what I do or am I missing something?
From the computer's FireWire 1 into 828 Mk3
From the computer's FireWire 2 into the 828 Mk2 (add on)?
OR daisy chain from computer's FW to 828 Mk3, on into Mk2?
I suppose, if that's the basic FW signal flow, either would work.

Are you sure the Mk2 has CueMix?
I thought it began with the Mk3 series.
(But once I establish a working system I seldom pay attention to new gear.
I seem to fall into a 4-5 year pattern of using a set up and then transition to the another set up. I do miss a lot that way.)

OR
Is there something ELSE I'm not aware of :?:
Thanks, Mike.
You've been quick with good advise once again.
Thanks "bayswater" for the added input. I'll chew on that as well. Whatever I do I want to keep it simple.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

I have an Ultralite mk3 hybrid running via S/PDIF into my main interface, an 828 mk3 hybrid. I tried daisy-chaining them via Firewire but could not get reliable sync. This setup using the S/PDIF is working fine.

If you do daisy-chain the two (only possible via Firewire on a PC, possibly that is true on a Mac as well) you will have two separate Cuemix mixers. You will be able to switch a single open Cuemix mixer between the two via the "Devices" menu item. The MOTU Audio Console will also show a second device tab.

The Firewire daisy-chaining method may enjoy more stability in a Mac than I had experienced (running Firewire into a PC was flaky and I dropped doing it in favor of using USB).

The aggregation feature in Macs also gives you more possibilities, as the drivers to not need to be the same for the two boxes as is true in the case of daisy-chaining them via Firewire.

I hope that clarifies some things.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I think the best solution is to get an eight channel AD/DA that connects via ADAT Optical... Presonus and Focusrite both make such devices.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search. ... toPre+MkII

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search. ... us+digimax

I've ben using a DigiMax with my 828mkII for years with nary a glitch. I clock via word clock, but you can also clock via the optical port. Big advantage is all inputs and outputs show up in one CueMix window. And no added latency.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

HCMarkus wrote:I think the best solution is to get an eight channel AD/DA that connects via ADAT Optical... Presonus and Focusrite both make such devices.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search. ... toPre+MkII

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search. ... us+digimax

I've ben using a DigiMax with my 828mkII for years with nary a glitch. I clock via word clock, but you can also clock via the optical port. Big advantage is all inputs and outputs show up in one CueMix window. And no added latency.
I really like that solution, HCMarkus!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
BonDarker

Post by BonDarker »

Thanks to one and all.
I didn't imagine there were as many approaches to this issue that each of you have outlined.
For whatever reason it didn't occur to me to use gear outside MOTU - duh!
But now I can consider a wider range of solutions.
I suppose I'm somewhat typical in being reluctant to ask for "directions" but this time it sure paid off.

Thanks again.
BD
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

Alesis used to make an optical-to-analog A/D/D/A called the "AI-3". You may be able to find one somewhere used, and Black Lion Audio has a modification for it if you're tweaky. :

https://blacklionaudio.com/product/alesis-ai3/

But if you're only looking for outputs, Aphex has a good unit:

http://aphex.com/products/141b

We've been using one at our studio to get extra headphone mixes from an Avid 96 interface for years, no problems.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
BonDarker

Post by BonDarker »

TinenTech wrote:Alesis used to make an optical-to-analog A/D/D/A called the "AI-3". You may be able to find one somewhere used, and Black Lion Audio has a modification for it if you're tweaky. :

https://blacklionaudio.com/product/alesis-ai3/

But if you're only looking for outputs, Aphex has a good unit:

http://aphex.com/products/141b

We've been using one at our studio to get extra headphone mixes from an Avid 96 interface for years, no problems.
And just when I thought all the options had been suggested.
Thanks, TinenTech for the added input... I'll look into it as well.
Have a great T-Day!