(New) Motu Express XT not sending MIDI Out?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
TC-Music
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

(New) Motu Express XT not sending MIDI Out?

Post by TC-Music »

Hi,
today I was installing my Motu Express XT (USB) on my Mac Pro to use a Master MIDI Keyboard to control my hardware synth going through Logic Pro 10 => Moth XT => Synths

Not able to control external hardware synth via the Moth Express XT MIDI Outs

Note: I did try to open a Tech Support Ticket but after filling the TechLInk form when clicking on submit the online system goes to an error page. I have my text saved, tried a few times. same problem. I sent an email to motu customer support but that's not the same as Tech Support so I don't know if customer support will forward email to tech support.
Any help I can get here would be greatly appreciated

Motu XT Software: ClockWorks 1.6 68717

SYSTEM:
Logic Pro 10.2.4
Mac Pro (Early 2008) 2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad Core Xeon 16GB RAM
OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Master Keyboard Studiologic VMK-188-Plus (USB to MAC PRO)

Today I was trying to setup the MOTU MIDI XPress XT to work with Logic to send MIDI to my hardware synths (e.g. Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth GT... )

I went through the basic steps to setup MIDI Devices. Of course I have MIDI cables all plugged in
E.g. MOTU XT MIDI Out 6 to Voyager MIDI In.... Voyager MIDI OUT to Motu XT MIDI IN 6

All 8 MIDI OUTs at the front of the MOTU XT are lit Green

NOTE: I have MIDI cables going into MOTU XT MIDI IN (from instruments MIDI OUTs) on XT IN-PORTS 1, 2, 4, 6 - BUT while 1,2,4 RED LEDs are lit permanently, the RED LED for IN-6 only lights up if I press keys/mod wheel on the Voyager Synth. If I don't touch the Voyager the IN-6 LED on the Motu is not switched on

I have been using my MIDI Controller Keyboard for long time with Logic without issues. But when in Logic I create a new MIDI Instrument selecting XT Port 6 Voyager the following happens
1- I can see the Computer I/O LED on the MotuXT flashing when I press keys on the MIDI Keyboard Controller (this is ok)

2- No MIDI is received by the Moog Voyager (The MIDI In LED light on the Voyager does not flash and no sound is produced by the Voyager)

If I play on the Voyager's own built in keyboard I do hear sound coming into Logic.

I also tried to control the V-Synth GT using my Master MIDI Keyboard going through logic and though MOTU XT but I had the same problem. MIDI does not go out of the MOTU XT, MIDI does not reach the V-Synth GT

Please see the Torubleshooting section where I explain what I did to make sure the instruments and the cables etc.. are ok. Isolating the problem to Logic/MOTU XT

In Logic, I tried using MIDI ALL, MIDI channel 1 (making sure the synths were using MIDI Ch 1), Tried with MIDI Ch 6 (setup synths to receive on ch 6...) But no luck, I cannot play the hardware synths through the MotuXT using the master keyboard connected to computer via USB. Both the master keyboard and the MOTU XT are connected via USB to the computer.

STEPS
- Create A MIDI Device, leave all the 16 In/Out channels selected, Only Port 1 for MIDI IN and MIDI Out
- In Logic Create a new track, External MIDI selected.
- Choose Motu XT Port 6 (called Voyager)
- Select correct Audio Inputs and Outputs

Using the MIDI Master Keyboard through Logic/MotuXT the Computer I/O on the Motu XT flashes but no MIDI Data goes out of the Motu XT to control the Hardware Synth.

(If I play the keys on the actual synth, sound is produced just fine)

Of course I also have hardware synths in rack format that MUST use my main master keyboard to ne played, but I didn't connect those yet, I cannot get the Motu XT to work between Logic and Voyager and V-Synth I lost energy to try with other synths

In Conclusion.
How can I get the Motu XT to send Master MIDI Controller Data and Logic MIDI Data out to external synths? Is the Motu Xt faulty? Or maybe I am doing something wrong?

TROUBLSHOOTING
1) I made sure that MIDI on both the Voyager and the V-Synth GT is switched on for both Receiving and Transmitting

2) I have connected a MIDI CABLE between the 'Master Keyboard Studiologic VMK-188-Plus (MIDI OUT)' and the Voyager's MIDI IN, directly, not going through MAC/LOGIC/MotuXT. Using the Studiologic keys I can send MIDI Notes to the Voyager just fine, the MIDI light on the Voyager lights up when I press keys on the Studiologic. Sound comes out. This proves to me that the Synth receives MIDI just fine. It proves the MIDI-Light on the Voyager should light up. It proves this MIDI Cable is not faulty

3) I used the same MIDI Cable to connect directly the Studiologic master keyboard to the MIDI-In on the V-Synth GT and again it works just fine. This proves the V-Synth is setup fine to receive MIDI Data and that again the MIDI cable is not faulty

4) I used this same MIDI Cable to connect Motu XT MIDI OUT-6 to the Voyager MIDI IN and the problem is still there. When using the Master Keyboard going through Logic/Motu XT there is not MIDI DATA going through the MIDI OUT of the Motu XT, no data reaches the Hardware Synth

5) I double checked Apple insturctions and online instructions and even Youtube video to see how to create MIDI/audio tracks with hardware synths in Logic, just in case I was doing it wrong, but I am doing the same steps shown in online/video instructions

I am using Motu 1248 and 16A as audio interfaces but this should make no difference.
TC-Music
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: (New) Motu Express XT not sending MIDI Out?

Post by TC-Music »

UPDATE

Ok, I thought that the latest version 'ClockWorks 1.6 68717' was all the software needed to setup and control the Motu XT including the Firmware. Just in case I did look to see if there was a separate download for firmware and I realised there was a downloadable firmware, version something.28 and the firmware on my XT was something.23 I think

Anyway I did the firmware update, rebooted everything and eventually it looks like it is working now!

I can create the MIDI tracks to control external MIDI hardware synths from MIDI data within logic and or master keyboard. Tried with Voyager and V-Synth-GT and both work...

Now I can add more devices and try to complete the setup with the other MIDI hardware.