Microbook IIc + iPad - any sw for the DSP mixer?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
FrankM
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Microbook IIc + iPad - any sw for the DSP mixer?

Post by FrankM »

A friend of mine is interested in the MBIIc to use with his iPad, since I told him it's now "class compliant" and will work with iOS devices. The manual only says this about using this interface with an iOS device:

The MicroBook IIc is a USB audio class compliant device, so it can be used as a simple 4-input, 6-output audio interface (with no mixing or processing features) for iPad and other iOS devices. No software installation is required. Just connect the MicroBook to your iOS device as explained in “Connecting to an iOS device” on page 18, and access it in your iOS audio software as instructed for your audio software.

I guess what my question is, exactly what iOS software is out there that will connect to all 4 inputs and 6 outputs? Is it possible that there's software that might access the DSP mixing and/or processing (I know the quote above says "with no mixing or processing features" but maybe that changed)? Or, maybe there's an iOS app with its own mixing and processing capabilities? A search on "MOTU" on the App store turned up only DP Control and a mixer for the AVB interfaces.

I think my friend might want to use the MBIIc as a centerpiece of an in-ears system, using his iPad to mix the a monitor feed with his bass and maybe another source. That's what I'm doing, but I use a Mac so it's easy - I have OSC controlling CueMix FX.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Microbook IIc + iPad - any sw for the DSP mixer?

Post by mikehalloran »

That you can use the 4in/6out on a class-compliant device is huge. This should mean that it will let you use an iOS app that allows more than 2in/out. GarageBand will do this; there are others.

On a Mac or PC, you can control many of the hardware functions after installing the correct drivers but you will not be able to this from iOS. You will have to make your settings in the hardware.

The Microbook IIc link on MOTU's support page goes to this and not the latest manual.
http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firewi ... _Guide.pdf

You should email MOTU to see if they have a link that explains connecting to iOS in greater detail.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FrankM

Post by FrankM »

Thanks but your link goes to the CueMix FX guide. CueMix FX is not an iOS app. As I said in my OP, my friend is investigating using the MBIIc with his iPad.

I think I now know the answer to my question. What I was hoping for was a way to work the DSP mixer in the Microbook IIc with an iOS app. That doesn't look possible. To use the Microbook IIc as an in-ears mixer, you need zero latency which its built-in mixer gives you. If an iOS audio app can access all the ins & outs on this interface that's nice, but the audio will be routed through the iPad so there'll be latency between input & output.

Obviously CueMix FX controls the DSP mixer's functions over USB. An iOS device uses USB (via the camera connection kit) to connect to the Microbook. It seems logical to wonder why MOTU or a 3rd party can't code an iOS app to do at least some of what CueMix FX does.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FrankM wrote:Thanks but your link goes to the CueMix FX guide. CueMix FX is not an iOS app. As I said in my OP, my friend is investigating using the MBIIc with his iPad...
As I wrote, the link is wrong and you need to contact MOTU for the correct manual. Perhaps they will correct the web site as well.
I think I now know the answer to my question. What I was hoping for was a way to work the DSP mixer in the Microbook IIc with an iOS app. That doesn't look possible .
MOTU has already made it clear that you won't be able to do that. iOS doesn't allow drivers and MOTU hasn't written an app for that.

Hardware drivers are possible in iOS but they are built into apps. My Zoom and Shure iOS microphones have apps that can control their functions. They are both class compliant and work with any recording app but the hardware control is only found in the proprietary applications from Shure and Zoom.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FrankM

Post by FrankM »

mikehalloran wrote:
FrankM wrote:Thanks but your link goes to the CueMix FX guide. CueMix FX is not an iOS app. As I said in my OP, my friend is investigating using the MBIIc with his iPad...
As I wrote, the link is wrong and you need to contact MOTU for the correct manual. Perhaps they will correct the web site as well.
I own a Microbook IIc, so I already have all the manuals for it – all two manuals, the CueMix FX guide and the Microbook IIc User Guide. There does not appear to be a separate manual about using the Microbook IIc with an iDevice.
mikehalloran wrote:
FrankM wrote:I think I now know the answer to my question. What I was hoping for was a way to work the DSP mixer in the Microbook IIc with an iOS app. That doesn't look possible .
MOTU has already made it clear that you won't be able to do that. iOS doesn't allow drivers and MOTU hasn't written an app for that.

Hardware drivers are possible in iOS but they are built into apps. My Zoom and Shure iOS microphones have apps that can control their functions. They are both class compliant and work with any recording app but the hardware control is only found in the proprietary applications from Shure and Zoom.
From what you say it sounds possible that MOTU could build a driver into a custom iOS app, but I'm guessing that's not gonna happen.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

From what you say it sounds possible that MOTU could build a driver into a custom iOS app, but I'm guessing that's not gonna happen.
Your guess is as good as anyone's on whether or not they will do it. Sounds like a great idea to me.