USB to Thunderbolt cable good solution?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
laurentius
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

USB to Thunderbolt cable good solution?

Post by laurentius »

Hello together,

I would like to buy the Ultralite AVB for my live-setup. I really need both my USB ports on my MBP for other devices, so I thought about wether or not it's possible to connect the device using a USB to TB cable solution? Would that make any sense?

Hope you guys can help me out on this.

Best,
L.
HCMarkus

Re: USB to Thunderbolt cable good solution?

Post by HCMarkus »

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunder ... bolt2-Dock

but why not get a simple (and inexpensive) USB hub and share one of your USB ports between several devices?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Good question. I'm not recalling that it's ever been addressed. Probably best to drop a presales question to MOTU about this and post the answer here.

HCM's suggestion is one that is known to work, however.

I had problems with a number of USB hubs not being recognized after my Mac woke from sleep. This one does not have that problem and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQ ... UTF8&psc=1
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
laurentius

Post by laurentius »

Thanks for your answers,

yeah of course I'm aware of usb hubs. Problem is I am using two devices that work much better when connected directly to the usb port of my mbp (Maschine and Ableton Push). Their performance is better and faster, so that's why thought of connecting my audio interface to the tb-port...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If you get a Firewire interface, the TB to Firewire adapter from Apple (which by all reports works perfectly with MOTU audio interfaces) is like $35.00.