DP 3.02 + OS 9.2.2 live monitoring not working with my 828.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
part12studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 3.02 + OS 9.2.2 live monitoring not working with my 8

Post by part12studios »

OK! i got it working pretty much.. there is a patch audio through option on DP3 that I had messed with before but must have been misconfigured.. so yes it's all good now..

I was even able to test running a dry signal out.. and directly back in without any noticable latency which is important to me because i have a fair amount of outboard effects i want to use and it's nice to not have to do it all at record time first putting an instrument in (allowing more dry inputs for later re-recording sessions for effects tweaking)

Thanks so much for the input AND learning the bad news about the 2408.. heh :) live and learn!

Thanks,
Caleb
part12studios

Post by part12studios »

also i'm excited to see that i can get a (i believe) 324 card to drive it.. which seem to be reasonably easy to find online for sale. So that's cool.. makes the deal not so good.. but i'm curious about the sound quality differences..

Also interesting think maybe i can use the 828 WITH the 2408 at the same time for i dunno.. because i can? lol
part12studios

Post by part12studios »

@mikehalloran you said a FW400 cable can be used.. is this safe / ok for it or MUST i remove some insulation? I'm not coming up with a clear "audiowire" MOTU cable so far in my searching.. just various audio cables.. (nothing with a distinct FW400) port..

I am likely to shop around for the card, but i just need to secure the cable as well. I do have FW400 cables, but i just don't want to damage the equipment using the wrong kind of cable..

Thanks,
Caleb
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A FW cable is supposed to work and normally does. If not, shave about 1/16"–1/8" of insulation off the outer end of the plug so that the tip gets in a little further. Over the years, I came to the conclusion that not all FW cables are made perfectly to spec.

PCI-324 cards are cheap and readily available for a couple of reasons. The prime one is that you cannot use it in a G5 with 8 RAM slots as those require a PCIx card. The other is that the 324 does not have CueMix.

A PCIx card is backwards compatible with PCI but not the other way around. For that reason, you might find a used PCI-424 card at a reasonable price, too.

You still haven't said what you are running but the G3 and G4s with PCI slots (not all have them) can take either PCI/PCIx as can a G5 with only 4 RAM slots (the G5 can't run OS 9).
Last edited by mikehalloran on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
part12studios

Post by part12studios »

ah ok gotcha.. sorry i didn't answer that question:

I have a G4 450mhz Sawtooth Desktop (Graphite) with 768 mb ram.. so it sounds like I really want to get the better card for the cue stuff.. I'll search for both.

My question about the newer card is would it be fully functional under OS9 / DP3?

I'm running OS9.2.2 because I wanted to reconnect with my setup from 2001.. back then i could barely afford (had to take a loan) to get the G4 (I picked up a few months ago for $25) back then and couldn't afford to get a 2408 back then.. now the stuff is a fraction of the original cost so I thought I'd give it another go.

I also might go back to DP 2.7 for fun too to officially be "pre-2yk" which is a side-reason of making music for a video game i'm working set in a post apocalyptic 199x... so it seemed fitting to make music with gear from the 90's and older..

I have x2 Amiga 1200 and Music-X / Tiger Cub / KCS also which I was able to get to work with MTC if I ever wanted to REALLY go old-er school.. currently though the A1200 is intended to be an 8 bit sampler / soft synth / 8bit effects processor.

i wanted a simple DAW.. though I definitely see DP3 isn't "simple" as it's quite sophisticated and I loved using it back in the day..

Now to find a good program for OS9 that talks to my Akai S612 to do SMDI dumps.. I have 10 quick disks for it, but I'd rather back them up to a computer..
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My question about the newer card is would it be fully functional under OS9 / DP3?
Since DP 3 supports CueMix, probably but I can't say for certain.

Here's what MOTU says but it doesn't answer the question either. There's a phone# and email address where you can get that answer from MOTU.
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... patibility
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
part12studios

Post by part12studios »

ok yea thanks for the confirmation! I've spoke with them before and yea they are really nice and helpful.. also right around the Boston area like I am. heh. So yea I'll ping them and confirm with them..

I worked with them a bit to be sure I could definitely use a Non-USB MTP AV with a USB MTP AV to network them (man finding the cable was a whole other mission but i found them after several purchases and emails with various vendors).. so I could get 16 in / 16 out..

AND now with a MidiExpress XT USB for more.. and amazingly i really needed the extra in/outs.. :P
part12studios

Post by part12studios »

yikes nevermind a 424.. those cards are going for as much as $300+.. I saw some used ones as "low" as $160 or so.. while the 324's are way cheaper.. like around $50 is much more my budget range.. if the 2408 works anything like the 828 (without cuemix) I won't mind. I guess it just goes with the benefit of using such old hardware..

i mean really the only difference i see between the two is 828 caps at 24bit/48khz and the 2408 does 24bit/96khz.. i'm not sure how significant the difference even is.. or if i have the kind of studio / setup to see the difference.

is there anything else I might be missing? like superior A/D converters?