Motu 2408 MKIII as a standalone digital format converter

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
lorenzobertelloni
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Motu 2408 MKIII as a standalone digital format converter

Post by lorenzobertelloni »

Hi everyone,
I want to upgrade an old setup I got in a studio I work, based on a Tascam DM-3200 and a MOTU 2408 MKIII connected using 3 TDIF cables (8 channels each).

The main issue I got is that i want to use my new MacBook Pro with the DM-3200 but there are no existing soundcards with TDIF I/O in the market.

I read somewhere that I can use the 2408 as a standalone digital format converter between TDIF and ADAT, so I was thinking that I can buy a new 828x and use the x2 ADAT inputs.

The question I got is: the conversion between ADAT and TDIF is bidirectional simultaneously? Ex. can I simultaneously record a vocal track while monitoring some tracks I have already recorded? I'd like to mix and monitoring through the DM-3200 and not simply use the preamplifiers and converters.

Thanks for all the help, I hope my question is clear

Lorenzo
mikehalloran

Re: Motu 2408 MKIII as a standalone digital format converter

Post by mikehalloran »

TDIF to ADAT in banks of 8 or vise versa. Either to analog but you are limited to one bank of 8. I used my first gen 2408 as a standalone converter often.

I don't believe that it can be bi-directional (I never tried) but the manual is still online. The big differences among the three 2408 models are supported sampling rates.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

search my threads, I've addressed this in detail. Don't recall specifics at moment.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
airrera

Post by airrera »

Hello, I'm a new user....

I know I'm resuming an old topic, but I hope someone could help me to clarify the real behavior of the 2408 in standalone mode, 'cause I'm looking for details since two weeks with no good results and Motu tech support / manual doesn't helped me.

I know that the interface works that way, with some routing limitation...

Question: is possible to route 16 ch trough 2 Tdif bank (from my Tascam dm3200) to Adat AND analog outs of the Motu simultaneously?

I mean I need to convert 8 tdif channels in Adat for multitrack recording with another interface, and 8 tdif ch in analog, for live sound monitoring.

In this way, summing that outs with the on board ones, i could have 16 ch adat and 14 analog out from the tascam dm 3200 without buying expansions cards...

Any help?

Thank you, and merry christmas!

Alberto
Alberto - StudioSoundLab
---
[studio] Tascam DM3200 / A&H Zed428 / Digi 192+96 IO / Motu 8M AVB / PT 10HD / Dell Hackintosh Xeon 12 core / Focusrite-Dbx-Drawmer-Joemeek outboard / ESI & Yamaha monitors and several others toys...
---
[home & mobile setup] Yamaha 01v96i / Motu Ultralite AVB / Pro Tools 10-12 / MBP 15" 2014 / DELL M6700 / JBL monitors
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

airrera wrote:Hello, I'm a new user....
Question: is possible to route 16 ch trough 2 Tdif bank (from my Tascam dm3200) to Adat AND analog outs of the Motu simultaneously...

Thank you, and merry christmas!

Alberto
Welcome and Merry Christmas to you, too.

You don't say if you are trying to do this in standalone or connected to a 424 card.

In standalone mode, I pretty sure that the answer is no. You can only do one type of conversion at a time. There are only 8 analog channels so one bank of ADAT or TASCAM to analog is possible but no more.

If using it with a 424x or e card into your computer, you have many more options.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
airrera

Post by airrera »

mikehalloran wrote:Welcome and Merry Christmas to you, too.

You don't say if you are trying to do this in standalone or connected to a 424 card.

In standalone mode, I pretty sure that the answer is no. You can only do one type of conversion at a time. There are only 8 analog channels so one bank of ADAT or TASCAM to analog is possible but no more.

If using it with a 424x or e card into your computer, you have many more options.
Thank you for your kind answer, Mike.

I try to explain better (sorry for my bad english...)

I don't need to convert all 16 ch to analog, and I know 2408 has only 8 analog outs: but I d'like to understand if, in standalone mode, is possible to convert / split 16 tdif signals (2 banks) in 8 adat AND 8 analog...

As far I know, it seems this should work with a single bank: 8 Tdif signals can be sent to Adat and to analog output simoultaneously, at the same time. If I select one Tdif bank as source, I should get this 8 channels out in both adat and analog format - I found this in a couple of forums.

I'm wondering what could be the result if I connect 2 Tdif cables! The purpose is to expand the physical outs of my desk with 8 extra analog AND 8 extra adat sends.

But I understand this is a very specific question, maybe only someone with the same setup (dm 3200 + 2408 standalone) could help me!

Thanks a lot, bye

Alberto
Alberto - StudioSoundLab
---
[studio] Tascam DM3200 / A&H Zed428 / Digi 192+96 IO / Motu 8M AVB / PT 10HD / Dell Hackintosh Xeon 12 core / Focusrite-Dbx-Drawmer-Joemeek outboard / ESI & Yamaha monitors and several others toys...
---
[home & mobile setup] Yamaha 01v96i / Motu Ultralite AVB / Pro Tools 10-12 / MBP 15" 2014 / DELL M6700 / JBL monitors