Random audio dropouts with Ultralite MK3

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
sevenark
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Random audio dropouts with Ultralite MK3

Post by sevenark »

Hi

I bought two MK3 UltraLites as part of a live audio setup a few months ago. I've been experiencing the same audio glitch on both of them - the audio will randomly cut out for between 0.5 and 1 seconds and skip. This will happen at least once or twice in a 60 minute liveset, and it occurs on both interfaces. I'm running Ableton Live 9, with the MOTUs connected via USB.

This is what I've done to troubleshoot:

1 - updated firmware on both MOTUs

2- tried 3 different Macbook Pros, running El Capitan, Yosemite and Snow Leopard.

3 - updated all Macbook Pros to the latest version of El Capitan

4 - changed all USB cables

This is infuriating - anybody have any ideas as to what's going on here? I've read some similar problems online about the issue being with OSX and the CoreAudio drivers, but there must be some way to resolve this? The system is not usable at the moment as a dedicated live rig.

Any possible solutions welcomed.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Random audio dropouts with Ultralite MK3

Post by terrybritton »

Two questions:
Are they daisy-chained? (I guess so if you have them both hooked up - using Soundflower, I imagine.) If so, what are your respective sync settings, if any? Both set to internal?

Is anything running that could conceivably mess with the timing of the S/PDIF, like some major process kicking in randomly?

I had a similar thing happening to me, and I stopped trying to daisy-chain because of it.

I just feed the analog out of one into an analog input on the second - I don't even touch S/PDIF anymore.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
sevenark
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by sevenark »

They're synced via MIDI - it's a redundant system with two totally seperate systems. Two laptops, two MOTU soundcards running through a Radial SW8 switcher. That way if System A dies/sound card crashes etc I can switch immediately to System B with no break in the audio.

MIDI triggering (just simple transport controls, nothing more) is via an Akai MPD226. All I use it for is to move the transport locator in Ableton and press Play to start playback at a specific point on the timeline. Nothing more than that.

So I don't think that's the issue though - the glitch problem occurs even if the one system is running alone, i.e. no MIDI running at all.

There's a huge thread over at Native Instruments about something similar:

https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... se.262889/

And this article also alludes to audio dropout problems in El Capitan:

http://cdm.link/2016/09/real-apple-news ... xed-month/

Seems to be a problem with CoreAudio in OSX??
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

I'm running Windows machines, and suspected it had to do with what are called "DPC Errors" where the system software or a running process suddenly takes over the entire system's resources, throwing the sensitive timing to the DACs off, making them switch off, which takes 1/2 a second or more to recover. That is why I asked about whether you used the S/PDIF, as that is another sensitive timing area.

It could very well be a Coreaudio issue as well. Or an ASIO problem, if you are using that, as it is actually quite unstable.

If you find a solution, please let me know of it - I may be able to translate it from Mackish to Windozian.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools