MIDI edit Velocity shortcut

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
rangerx
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI edit Velocity shortcut

Post by rangerx »

with the graphics on my high res screen the bar for the velocity control is thinner than a thread , i can fumble around until i get the pointer finger or enter the value on top of the ruler both annoying

is there a keyboard short cut to raise lower velocity for note or group selection

this is my only complaint with Digital Performer need a magnify glass to see edit points
Mac min 16 gig, Mac pro 6.1 64 gig
Kawai VPC1 ,Nektar P6, Maschine Studio, 2 Mascjine Jam
Motu 828 es, acer touch screen t272hul. 3 Asus monitiors

ITS A GOOD DAY FOR A SMILE !
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: MIDI edit Velocity shortcut

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Select the notes and go to the REGION menu. I don't have a problem grabbing velocity info at all, but I do use the region (change velocity) item fairly frequently. You can also draw the curve you might want with several different tools (limit, parabola, freehand, straight line, etc). With notes selected, hold down the "r" key and it should turning into the tool icon. Then drag it over or under the notes in question. You can customize it from the toolbar.

Dos MIDI tools are the best there is, IMO, but the thin lines can sometimes be annoying. Also, be sure your view in the MIDI edit window is POINT. Bars and lines will not show the velocity levels. DP 9 has LANES which make life easier for some. I haven't really worked with them yet.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rangerx

Post by rangerx »

thanks for the info , in cubase or mixbus moving the mouse wheel changes this
I've been struggling between daws DP9 is great Daw , love the work flow

wish they can add a couple of pixels to the graphics my screens run on 2560 x 1440

the only theme that shows a red dot on top of the line is "carbon fiber"

thanks again

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

No problem. THe smallish text and graphics have been a complaint for a long time, but OTOH, there's a boatload of info on those screens and I like the way it's organized and easily accessed. Big time saver!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If you regularly want to edits the velocity of individual notes graphically, you can customize the theme you use and create a somewhat larger more visible image file for the velocity event. Someone here posted such a file for version 6 and it still works.

But you don't have click right on the velocity graphic: if you move the cursor towards the velocity icon, the cursor will change when it gets close, and then you can click and select and capture it. It may be easier than you think.

You can also make sure you have the Event Info window visible in the Edit window you are using. With that in place, you can select a note and use a scroll wheel to edit the value for velocity displayed there.

If micro editing velocity is what you really need, you might want to do it in the Event edit window, and use the View filter to reduce the clutter, getting down to notes and velocity.

In the longer run it is worth looking into the various velocity edit options and the drawing and shaping tools in conjunction with the selection functions. With these, you can edit more globally to deal with extreme values, values in ranges, etc, and reduce the need to address specific notes.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rangerx

Post by rangerx »

again thanks for the info
will see if i can get this going

i think I'm spending more time computing than music, but once i'm set i will be happy with DP i do like the flow

brutal experience learning DP unlike cubase/studio one etc... as in anything good things take time , every daw has issues that annoy me DP9 is fast so the pain is less