Motu 16a External Clocking Question

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jeromemason
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Motu 16a External Clocking Question

Post by jeromemason »

I'm sure it's been discussed here before, but since I'm new to the forum I thought I'd see if someone could tell me how the 16a handles it's clocking.

Right now, I'm using it's internal clock, before I was clocking it with an external unit, a standalone clock that I felt was a bit better overall in sound opposed to it's internal. Basically I have the 16a and I also have an Aphex 500 rack that is interfaced via USB for the send and return of it's modules. It also has spdif I/0 and such, but I've noticed lately while clocking it off the 16a things just don't sound as open.

So, I've ordered a high end stand alone clock but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that on the AD side it can be externally clocked in the 16a, but on the D/A side it has it's own clock no matter what. Meaning, if I clock my 16a externally just in A/D will be benefiting from the high end clock and not the D/A side. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I don't want to get into "why not just use the internal it's a good clock" which I know it is, I've been using it, but I'm really needed to have an external to tie the 16a and Aphex together, and I know the Aphexs' conversion will greatly benefit from the high end clock, so I'm just wanting to know if both the A/D and D/A of the 16a will be slaved by the high end master clock.

Long winded and I hope that makes sense!

Thanks guys!!

Jerome Mason
Jerome Mason
Mixing Engineer
Boulevard Mixing Studio
Based in Nashville TN

Jerome@jeromemason.com