Ultralite USB connected but audio players don't react

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Stefan.Ketz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ultralite USB connected but audio players don't react

Post by Stefan.Ketz »

Hi,

first of all excuse my bad english.

following issue:

when i connect my (updated) ultralite via USB to my macbook 13" retina (end 2013) OSX 10.11.4 (latest drivers installed), the ultralite is visible in the system preferences and i can choose it, but sometimes can't control the volume or pan respectively it takes 2min time before it reacts..

Even if it is controlable the main problem is that no audio-player (vlc, mac quick look, browser-player etc.) starts playing when i hit the play button once the motu is connected...?

There also was sometimes a quiet high bleep when i plugged it in which stopped after about a minute but now doesn't occur anymore if this is a information that could indicate something.

If anyone can help me out with this, i would be very thankful!

Thanks in advance - Stefan
mikehalloran

Re: Ultralite USB connected but audio players don't react

Post by mikehalloran »

I am guessing but these are the basics.

Are you using bus power or external power? If using bus power, not all USB ports may supply it or enough (depends on the MB Pro and the year). Try external power to see if it helps. If already using external power, this shouldn't be the problem.

Sometimes USB ports exhibit unusual behavior. Resetting the NV RAM will restore the ports to defaults.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Try disconnecting and reconnecting the usb cable and see if that makes a difference.

Do you have the latest drivers from MOTU installed?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Stefan.Ketz

Re: Ultralite USB connected but audio players don't react

Post by Stefan.Ketz »

mikehalloran wrote:I am guessing but these are the basics.

Are you using bus power or external power? YES If using bus power, not all USB ports may supply it or enough (depends on the MB Pro and the year). Try external power to see if it helps. If already using external power, this shouldn't be the problem.

Sometimes USB ports exhibit unusual behavior. Resetting the NV RAM will restore the ports to defaults.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Try disconnecting and reconnecting the usb cable and see if that makes a difference.

Do you have the latest drivers from MOTU installed?
Thanks for your answer. Have done all of that before but nothing happened..

Sometimes its working randomly after several usb-cable plug-ins and outs, but most of the time its not.

Any further guessings?