MOTU Ultralite three headphones

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
anjam
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU Ultralite three headphones

Post by anjam »

Hey guys,

I am not familiar with Audio Tech at all, so please be indulgent with me here..

For a project I need to route frequencies A, B, C out of my computer to three different pairs of headphones (A onto pair 1, B onto pair 2,...)
I do have a MOTU Ultralite mk3 here.

My question now: Can I somehow use the outputs for the headphones?

I would really appreciate your help!!

Thanks,
yana
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU Ultralite three headphones

Post by Phil O »

I'm not familiar with the Ultralite but I'm pretty sure it only has one headphone out. The line level outputs on audio devices is not capable of driving headphones. For that you'll need some sort of headphone amplifier. If you want three separate headphone mixes, you'll need a headphone amp with at least three outputs and individual inputs. For stereo that will use up 6 of your Ultralite outputs, or three for mono. Here's an offering from Behringer:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... hgod8jAEmQ

Not the best sounding amp on the market, but not bad either. The price is right and it has individual inputs. I've been using two of the 4 channel versions of this in my studio for several years now, and have had not problems with them.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.