Mic Suddenly Audible through Monitors

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
yamguitar
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mic Suddenly Audible through Monitors

Post by yamguitar »

A couple of times in the last few days, I’ve been partway through a recording session when I've become aware that my microphone feed is suddenly audible through my monitors. This is not happening apropos of anything obvious, and it's after a good 30-90 minutes of working normally, with the live mic only going to phones. Things are operating normally 90% of the time, which makes it all the more mysterious what exactly is happening …and I know something’s up because a quit and restart of DP fixes the problem and restores the system to normal operation.

At first I thought that monitoring through effects had somehow become enabled. A quick check showed that direct hardware playthrough was still enabled (as it always is). I checked through all the various mixes in CueMix to make sure nothing inappropriate was unmuted or had the fader up in my monitor mix (it wasn’t). The audio patch thru mode is still on auto, as usual.

I don’t know if there could be some kind of communication problem between my computer and the 4pre…? Once the mic is audible through the monitors in this way, no amount of button-clicking seems to defeat it… only a restart of DP. I tried going backwards in my mind to see if I could suss out any strange moves I might have made to activate this behavior… I think I might have changed sequences within my project just before this happened, but nothing in the sequences I was switching to looks like it should cause this routing, and, as I mentioned, a reboot of DP fixed the issue without any changes to the sequences being made. Any ideas? :idea: :?:
4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac Retina 5K, 32GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 • MOTU M6 • DP 11.31, Reason 12.7.4, Dorico Elements 5.1
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mic Suddenly Audible through Monitors

Post by mikehalloran »

If a reboot of DP fixed it, I haven't a clue.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro