MOTU M8 vs Antelope Orion Studio

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
RodneySauer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU M8 vs Antelope Orion Studio

Post by RodneySauer »

I'm looking to upgrade my system. Currently, I run mics into a Mackie Onyx 1620 (for its preamps), send the signal out pre-EQ to my trusty old 828mkII, and by Firewire into my iMac. But I'm finding the signals sometimes noisy, and I wonder if there are better preamps and AD converters in the two more modern boxes I mention in the subject line.

The MOTU would probably go seamlessly into my DP system, but chances are so would the Antelope. The Antelope has 12 channels vs. the MOTU's 8, and since I'm currently using all channels, another four would give breathing room for future projects.

The MOTU is appealing for the newly added ability to just use ethernet instead of Thunderbolt (though it can use Thunderbolt or USB too, just in case). I've about got my Thunderbolt chain maxed out on monitors, an SSD, and legacy firewire drives and the 828mkII.

The Antelope also costs $1200 more.

I'm mostly recording chamber-music style pieces and early jazz, using piano, violin, cello, clarinet, trumpet, using a combination of Rode and Audix microphones.

Any advice or comments on the above boxes? Or other alternatives?
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
HCMarkus

Re: MOTU M8 vs Antelope Orion Studio

Post by HCMarkus »

I like the 16A with external mic pres...
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

Yes, but I don't yet have the external mic pres, so eight of those becomes quite a bit more expensive pretty fast. I'm hoping that the 8M and/or Orion preamps will be at least as good as the Mackie Onyx preamps... meaning good enough for the projects I'm working on.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

I finally decided on the MOTU, based on the fact that MOTU has very reliable software and supports their legacy devices (my 828 mk II from 2004 is still going fine). I found setting it up with Ethernet somewhat confusing (many of the screenshots bore little resemblance to what showed up on my computer), but eventually got the software and routing sorted out. Unfortunately, the keyboard volume controls that worked for the 828 don't work on the 8M, but other than that it seems pretty transparent. I'll be starting the first recording sessions on Thursday.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com