Anyone ever networked two MTP AV's? I need some help

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
part12studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone ever networked two MTP AV's? I need some help

Post by part12studios »

Hi everyone,

I have two MTP AV's. One is USB and the other is pre-usb (serial) unit. I've read they can be networked together, but i've had difficulty finding the right cable.

I believe i've found the right cable (appletalk crossover cable) but i'm just curious if there is anything that happens visuably on the AV units to know they are talking.

Does Freemidi recognize them as networked? is there a special thing i have to do in freemidi to get it to update and see the 2nd device?

As it is freemidi detects the USB AV.. but that's all it see. i'm not sure if it "just sees it" or if i must do something to initiate it?

Thanks in advance for any advise / insight on this. I'm running DP3 + Freemidi that came with it.

Thanks,
Caleb
part12studios

(resolved) Anyone ever networked two MTP AV's? I need some

Post by part12studios »

ok found the cable that works!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Din-Minidi ... xykUZTjJdS

so yes you connect them / follow the instructions in the manual / then in freemidi (1.48) do a scan of devices.. the 1-8 devices you see in the configuration expands to become 1-16 as one unit.. not seen as two.
dewdman42

Re: Anyone ever networked two MTP AV's? I need some help

Post by dewdman42 »

This is replying a few years later, but did this cable work for you? I notice that this cable is a "crossover" 8 pin cable and I want to make sure that is the right one for this application.

So is a male-to-male 8 pin crossover, the correct generic spec that matches the apple "localtalk printer cable" spec?
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
part12studios

Post by part12studios »

Yes it should work. It did for me and still does :)
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

thanks a lot for following up on this old thread! I will definitely grab one for $8 and try it out then.

How did you figure out that you needed a crossover 8pin din cable?
part12studios

Post by part12studios »

I would advise you to purchase two of them. Just in case they disappear off of eBay :)
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Definitely not a bad idea, I also like that it’s only 3ft cable! But I’m really curious how you figured out that it needs to be a crossover cable?
part12studios

Post by part12studios »

i found out when i used a normal cable and it didn't work.. digging around i realized there was a special cable that was included with the MTC.. somehow in my digging around i came across mention that it was a null cable (or maybe not null, i forget).. i tried making my own crossover but that didn't go well and thankfully the signals sent are not power level because i might have zorched one or both if there was.. made weird things happen.. anywho.. i kept digging, even bought a few promising cables that were not right and this one turned out to be the right kind.. i emailed the vendor to make sure.. and it worked.. when it did i bought a 2nd one. :)
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Thanks a lot for that explanation. I will order a second one also.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hmmmm. That's interesting. I thought I used just a regular cable for mine... not a crossover. I must be mistaken.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The Apple printer cable was a crossover. The modem cable was not as common but it was straight through—I rep’d a modem company for awhile and had to carry both.

You could buy switch boxes that allowed the printer cables to be used for modems. For Macs with modem ports, a printer cable was used.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Motu support basically told me to get an Apple LocalTalk printer cable, if I can find one. So that all makes sense now. The source on eBay above is a source that makes these crossover cables custom and claims on the ad that it’s needed for protocols and some other hardware out there. Apparently the MTP is also on that list. He has some in longer lengths as well.

So in summary for anyone down the road that is trying to accomplish this, the answer is either try to find a LocalTalk printer cable, preferably a genuine Apple one to be sure it’s actually what it says it is. An AppleTalk 8pin networking cable or modem cable, etc I guess would not work, you need the actual LocalTalk printer cable( which we now know to be crossover); or find a generic crossover 8pin din cable as described in the ad above.
part12studios

Post by part12studios »

you got it :)
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

I used to network two all the time. Probably will again, although I don’t really need that many ports any more, I don’t think. One of the few devices that hasn’t gone quite so obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..