828X monitor level via Core Audio

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
CCarpenter
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828X monitor level via Core Audio

Post by CCarpenter »

I used to be able to control the monitor level of my electric piano input to the 828x via core audio on the Mac. I could drop the Mac core audio slider down and listen only through headphones (directly out of the piano) if I wanted to be quiet. However, somehow I screwed this up and while the core audio slider will control the output of playback, I have lost control of core audio control of monitoring my piano. Any thoughts about what the heck I did wrong here?

It was working fine for a year until I, while trying to fix something else, loaded a hardware preset into Cuemix. So I am guessing I screwed up the Cuemix routing but have no clue about what to do to restore my monitor function. Please advise if you know, thanks!
Gear: Late 2013 Mac Pro 3Ghz 8 core 32 GB 11.6.1.5, DP 11, MOTU 828X, MIDI Express 128, VISIONDAW PC Slave with VEP Pro 7
Tonio

Re: 828X monitor level via Core Audio

Post by Tonio »

did you check /enable core audio volume control in MOTU audio set up ?

Enabling core audio volume controls allows you to control the output volume of a MOTU interface through the computer’s volume controls. Please note that if this is enabled and you have your computer audio muted, the audio interface will be muted.
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
CCarpenter

Re: 828X monitor level via Core Audio

Post by CCarpenter »

Yes, thanks, I did have that checked and was muting the computer audio, but the synth audio inputs were still coming through (monitoring). What I ended up doing was creating an aux track in the V-Rack with the synth input from the 828X and then muted the output for the synths in Cuemix. Alternately, I had two mixes in Cuemix, one for headphones and one for loudspeakers. The aux track works the best for me.
Gear: Late 2013 Mac Pro 3Ghz 8 core 32 GB 11.6.1.5, DP 11, MOTU 828X, MIDI Express 128, VISIONDAW PC Slave with VEP Pro 7