Slowly increasing distortion over time on 896mk3 Hybrid

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
chuckd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Slowly increasing distortion over time on 896mk3 Hybrid

Post by chuckd »

We have an application that records from a 896mk3 Hybrid, basically forever (it's an audio streaming application). The application works great with other audio devices, but for some reason the 896mk3 Hybrid slowly introduces audio distortion over time. Usually it starts within an hour with the occasional 'crackle' sound. Then as time goes on, the crackling sound becomes more and more present. After about 24 hours the sound is significantly degraded.

The 896mk3 us running the latest firmware (1.0.2) with driver 1.6 68717, and connected via USB to a Mac Mini running OS X 10.11.5. This is the lowest-end Mac Mini, the one with 4GB RAM and a 1.4 GHz processor.

Anybody else run into this situation? Would a FireWire connection behave differently?

Thanks for any help.
androgvamp
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Slowly increasing distortion over time on 896mk3 Hybrid

Post by androgvamp »

I'm having a similar issue, i have the DP9 running into a 896k3 and i am getting distortion on files i open.

it only happens on when i open DP9, when i do other stuff, likely, You tube or iTunes, there is no problems.

However, i just tried changing my i changed the buffer size from 512, and it stopped.

i feel lame, because I'm not that tech savvy about computers, but i can noodle with it.

maybe thats it.

i don't know what the nominal settings should be. i have files from 9 years ago, and i got a new apple 3.33 6 core anti-al queda and its great. but seems to work now

maybe this will fix your issue =)